- Fizzy Thoughts: Beginnings

Beginnings

Thursday, July 24, 2008


What are your favourite first sentences from books? Is there a book that you liked specially because of its first sentence? Or a book, perhaps that you didn’t like but still remember simply because of the first line?

I am so totally with Trish on this...who the heck remembers the first line? I'm lucky if I remember what I read last week, and now you want me to remember actual lines from books?!? Hello...this is why I have a blog (because my memory is crap). And why I actually can answer the question, despite my grumbliness.

"I write this sitting in the kitchen sink."


10 brownie points if you know the book. 10 more brownie points if you can name the character. And no, I'm not baking you brownies if you know the answer.

11 comment(s):

bkclubcare said...

I KNOW YOU POSTED ON THIS!!! I recognize that SOMEONE (had to be you) blogged on this specific sentence but I'm too lazy to search your posts. 10 lousy brownie points aint gonna motivate me.

Thx for making me laugh, tho, your Wholey Grumbliness. :)

Messy Karen said...

it wouldn't be fair of me to say. i recently told you i had read it. & i am now rereading it.

ourpartyof4 said...

I Capture the Castle. Okay, so I cheated and Googled it but still.....

Confuzzled Books said...

Someone else posted this one too and it does capture the mind's eye.

LisaMM said...

I remember reading that first line is someone's review.. was it yours??? Probably...

Smilingsal said...

Now, if I could get a brownie, but for points from a brownie--why, that's not even crumbs!

Melissa said...

Cassandra. I Capture the Castle. A bit of trivia... about 4 years ago, Nancy Pearl (superhero librarian extraordinaire) did a piece for NPR on best first lines. This was one of them. I was so captivated by it that I went out, got the book, and was not sorry I did.

Tracy said...

Was this book made into a movie? I think I remember watching it:)But not sure because my memory is lacking as well!

softdrink said...

Yep, it's a movie, too, although I haven't seen it.

Melissa, thanks for the trivia...I hadn't heard that. I feel so validated, or something, since Nancy picked it oo. ;-D

trish said...

If you had asked me that question closer to when I'd read the book, I probably would have remembered. But now? Now I'm lucky I can remember long enough to get to the end of a book without having to reread the same page over and over again. :D

anne said...

I read the sentence and thought hey, that sounds really familiar. Then I read the comments and realized that I am reading that very book right now. Duh. Guess I'm not in the running for the super-memory-woman prize either.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top