- Fizzy Thoughts: Holidays

Holidays

Thursday, July 03, 2008

It’s a holiday weekend here in the U.S., so let’s keep today’s question simple–What are you reading? Anything special? Any particularly juicy summer reading?

I am currently working on The Palace of the Snow Queen: Winter Travels in Lapland, by Barbara Sjoholm. I started it when we were having our heat wave, because it sounded cold. And cold sounded really, really appealing right about then.

It’s an interesting book…I’m learning about Lapland and about the Sami. But it’s a little slow, so I’ve been trying to finish it off all week, and I’m not really moving as fast as I’d like. Plus, the heat wave is over, and reading about –40 degree (yes, that’s negative 40) temperatures is a little brutal.

I’m not really sure what I’ll be reading next. Maybe The Sugar Queen.


Or Let the Northern Lights Erase Your Name, which would continue the Lapland theme.

Or maybe In Arabian Nights, which sounds nice and warm and exotic.


Decisions, decisions.

4 comment(s):

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Bummer that the Lapland book is slow, but kudos to you for not giving up on it entirely! (I would!)

The other choices look good -- maybe they'll be good motivation to get you through Lapland.

Smilingsal said...

Like you, I'm a stubborn reader, and I keep on keeping on until the conclusion.

softdrink said...

If I make it halfway through a book, I have a hard time not finishing.

bethany said...

I am interested in Arabian nights, that was an LT one right?? sounds good!

oh, and I too have a hard time not finishing a book, it is like starting a race and just stopping in the middle.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top