- Fizzy Thoughts: and we're off...

and we're off...

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Care asked about upcoming trips, which was a very appropriate question. Because as you're reading this, Hamburger and I are driving off to the wilds of Oregon (gotta love the auto-publish feature). And not really on the wilds part, although close since the last time I was at Sunriver there was no internet access. The horror! Good thing I've been stockpiling books.

Why am I on my way to Oregon? Because every year Hamburger's family has a reunion at Sunriver, Oregon. I don't go every year because we do the same thing. Every year. So I go every two or three years. Sunriver started life as an army camp, and today it is a big vacation destination. It has a lodge, and a golf course, and a little village, and condos, and lots of big houses. Kind of like Tahoe. It's very close to Mt Bachelor, so during the winter the skiers go there, and it's on the Deschutes River, so there are things to do during the summer, too. Hamburger's family rents houses, and we all meet there and hang out for a week. It's fun, but it's a bit of a drive. And did I mention we do the same things every year? And are you getting the idea that I like my vacations to be new and different?

So today we're headed off to I-5 to begin the long, straight, boring-as-hell drive. We'll stop and spend the night in Corning (for no particular reason other than we usually stay somewhere around Redding, and Corning had good hotel deals), because driving the whole thing in one day is doable, but akin to watching grass grow.

We'll be gone for 9 days. And this is what I packed:



Not that I plan on reading all of them, I just need options.

So I've written up some blog posts to auto-publish while I'm gone. But I still packed up the laptop in the hope that I can find the internet somewhere in the midst of all those trees. And if I get desperate, Bend, and therefore Starbucks, is only 20 minutes or so away. I may be writing essays about how I spent my summer vacation at Starbucks for the free internet access (because did you know if you register your Starbucks card and keep it active, you can get free wi-fi now? I know, I sound like a Starbucks ad, but I'm not going to apologize).

You all behave while I'm gone. No sneaking over to steal my box of 14 books. Or my copy of Geek Love. Or my Starbucks card. Or my David Sedaris book (which I've already passed along to bethany, or at least I will as soon as I finish it). Can you believe how lucky I am? Don't worry, I already pledged to knock it off for awhile, over at chartroose's book barrage. Because otherwise I'm afraid I'll be banned. Although you guys know I'll be passing along most of these books eventually, right?

And hey, whadaya know, I just responded to bethany's suggestion, too (You could post about how you have super good book karma because of all the millions of books you have given to us readers of yours, and how you got the grand prize of the 14 books!!!! That is just perfect. I have to say you deserve them :) ).

Thank you, bethany. I have to say I feel pretty lucky to be part of a spectacular book blogging community! You all are the best.

11 comment(s):

MackAttack said...

Wow, you won a free $25 starbucks card?!?! They also give you free refills on iced/reg. coffee if you use a registered card. And free syrup shots. YUM.

girasoli said...

I will have to look into this free wireless Starbucks thing. Is there a link online? Have a fun trip and happy reading!!

anne said...

Cool - congrats on winning the 14 books! I'm green with envy!

Oh boy, a family "in-law" reunion, how CAN you contain your excitement?!? I'm sure it will be fun...really... ;o)

(Like the new look by the way, and that you keep changing it up, that's fun.)

Jerry said...

Have a great trip. I have to admit that a family 'reunion'-type trip is just one short step from hell in my books but I know that you'll have fun!

softdrink said...

girasoli, I think the starbucks.com site has the link. look for an att link on the site.

Rachael said...

Well, safe travels. I've always wanted to see Oregon, but I can't say as I'd jump at the chance if it involved a family reunion.

Dar said...

Sunriver sounds like a nice place to spend time-hope you have a great time even if you will be doing all the same things again. lol. Hope you get to read some of those books and check in with us. Have fun!

softdrink said...

Much as I complain, Sunriver really is a great place. Although I can still think of better... :-D

chartroose said...

Hey, you don't have to lay off! I'm positive there's a reason it's happening for you, and I'm glad it's you.

trish said...

I love trips just for the reading possibilities alone. :D

LisaMM said...

Your annual trips sound a bit like mine--the same thing, year in and year out (she said while supressing a yawn). Fun, but the SAME.

Hope your fabulous book karma keeps going :-)

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top