- Fizzy Thoughts: July

July

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

*cough* *cough*

I feel like I’m working and living in a campground.

While we’ve seen the smoke from the bajillion fires burning in California, today is the first day we can smell it. Even inside our office, which is practically hermetically sealed (in other words, we have no windows that open). Considering how nasty the air quality is here, I can’t imagine what it’s like elsewhere.

So July…welcome, but could you maybe clean up your act a bit so that we have sunny skies instead of smoky skies? Please?

I don’t know about you all, but I can hardly believe it’s July. I mean, it seems like yesterday that I was reading Special Topics in Calamity Physics (that was January) or walking around Savannah (that was April). And whammo, now it’s July…although that means we’re only one month away from the end. That’s both exciting and depressing.

What have I got planned for this month? Well, a trip to Sunriver, Oregon for Hamburger’s family reunion. Which means lots of time to read, the traditional float down the Deschutes River, toodle-ing around the bike paths of Sunriver, and possibly a trip into Bend. Low key, as usual.

It’s also a birthday month….my granny, my mom and HB’s niece. Which involves nothing too exciting, except a trip to Taco Temple.

Bethany mentioned the book blowout over at Blue Archipelago. I’m considering joining, although I don’t know that I’ll read much more than I normally do. Except for that week in Sunriver, when I won’t have internet access (the horror!).

Hamburger and I were toying with the idea of a Mexico vacation in August. But holy guacamole, have you checked out the price of airfare lately? Maybe it’s just our small airport, and the fact that it’s losing one its carriers (AA, you suck, by the way), but $1100 to fly to Mexico (with crappy connections, to boot) seems a bit extreme. So I may be planning a vacation. Or I may not.


So those are my July plans, such as they are. What are you up to?

5 comment(s):

bethany said...

hey your month looks like fun, just thought that I would warn you that I am not hosting the blowout, MRS. S is, it was all my fault that you thought that though.....I edited my post now to make sense, and let you know who is really in charge of it!! :) here is the link:
http://www.clareswindlehurst.com/bookreviews/2008/06/25/challenge-july-book-blowout/O
I am so sorry softdrink, my post was totaly confusing...I could blame it on the jetlag from the read-a-thon, but that would not be right. sorry.

Oh, and you know what!? We have hazy skies all the way here in corvallis, oregon from the N.Cali forest fires!!!!! Insane right? I hope you are all okay down there!!!

chartroose said...

I just can't do the book blowout. There are way too many books on my TBR list as it is.

I'm sorry about the fires, and I hope they are all taken care of soon. I've heard that there's a big ol' heat wave happening in your part of the country at the moment. Maybe this will end soon as well.

No major plans for July, thank God. It seems like there's not enough time lately to just kick back and relax!

Eden said...

I was planning to go to Mexico and visit a friend who has taken up residence in some resort town near some lake area not too far from Guadalajara. The price of airfare from San Francisco to Guadalajara was more than $800 with some connections! So, I do not think it is just the SLO airport. I even considered driving to San Diego and taking a flight from there, but it was $688 from SD!!! And I thought Mexico was just across the border!!!

I am vacationing in the city by the bay now... LOL

M said...

so far i am just excited that i paid my mortgage and credit card on time. i feel quite a sense of accomplishment. must i do anything else this month? isn't this enough?

softdrink said...

Thanks Bethany...I made the correction. And I think reading jet lag is a perfectly legitimate excuse. :-D And I can't believe the haze had made its way to Corvallis.

Chartroose...we had a major heat wave last week, but it's better this week. At least on the central coast. Now if only the fires would go away!

Hey Eden - LAX to Ixtapa was only 560 something. And I can't believe I just said only. That's so ridiculous.

Hi M! That's pretty big. I think you deserve the rest of the month off. Except then how would you pay next month's mortgage? It's a vicious circle, huh?

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top