- Fizzy Thoughts: Nice to Come Home To

Nice to Come Home To

Saturday, July 05, 2008

Nice to Come Home To
Rebecca Flowers
2008
321 pages

I’m pretty sure I got sucked into buying this book because something I read, somewhere, compared the author to Marisa de los Santos. Umm, yeah…no. Rebecca is no Marisa. While this wasn’t the worst book I’ve read this year, it wasn’t the best, either.

Pru(dence) Whistler has lost her job. And her boyfriend. And her hopes of having the perfect life (which pretty much consists of a couple of perfect kids and a perfect husband). And let me just say, I couldn’t stand Pru for the first half of the book. Lucky for her, the first half was over fairly quickly. Then the focus seemed to switch to Patsy, Pru’s flaky, free-spirited sister. I can’t say I really cared for Patsy, either. But just when she was getting a bit much, it was Pru’s turn again. And by then, she had softened a bit. She wasn’t quite so desperate to change everyone and everything. And she found new things to focus on (job-wise and man-wise). By the end of the book, things were looking up for everyone.

Melissa recently mentioned how frustrating it is when a book jacket flap talks about something that doesn’t happen until late in the book. I think that was my major frustration with this book. The flap mentions Pru’s dreams of dress shop, and the cover certainly reinforces this. However, she never dreams this. It’s a chance that occurs fairly late in the book. Consequently, I spent most of the book waiting for her to get her shit together and start her business.

So...not a bad book, by any means. Just a bit of a disappointment.

And don't forget to read and comment on this post if you're looking for a chance to be the next reader of The Sugar Queen.

3 comment(s):

bethany said...

oh, bummer. wish this had turned out better for you, the cover is nice:)

Jill said...

I was looking forward to this one...but I just couldn't stay with it.

Stephanie said...

I read this one recently, and even though I didn't think it was the greatest book ever written, I still enjoyed it more than you did.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top