- Fizzy Thoughts: Still in Sunriver

Still in Sunriver

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Most of the gang (there are officially 29 of us spread out over three houses) is downstairs watching Napoleon Dynamite. Since I've already seen the movie about 5 times (although that's not stopping Hamburger...I'm convinced men are genetically predisposed to loving re-runs), I'm holed up upstairs with my book (Ghostwalk...I'm on page 220) and computer. The kids are baking brownies for tomorrow night's dinner, and the house smells wonderful.

Have I told you how dinner works around here? It's our one communal meal. Everyone is assigned one night to cook, and another night to clean. You don't cook with your significant other or kids. And best of all, the men are in charge of planning the meals. I cooked Monday night, and was lucky to be teamed up with all men. We had grilled steak, and sauteed zucchini with bacon and garlic (man was that good), and fruit salad, and macaroni salad. My job was chopping zucchini and fruit, and mixing together the macaroni salad. I love not being in charge. The only problem was that the cooks eat last, so I only got two slices of zucchini. Oh, and we had s'mores for dessert. Last night we had smoked chicken and pork (one of the cousins brings his smoker every year), with potato salad and grilled veggies. Tonight was stir-fry. Tomorrow night it's the kids night to cook. Rumor has it we're having pizza. And brownies.

The most strenuous thing I did today was ride a bike down to the mall for Goody's. Goody's is the ice cream shop, and it's a Sunriver tradition. Although they seem to be a bit lax in the quality control this year. The ice cream (and the sorbet) have been disappointing. Which isn't to say we won't go back to try a different flavor. Oh, and I won three games in a row at pool. I think I used up all my pool luck, which is unfortunate, since I've been signed up for the pool tournament. I've made it to the finals of the Skip-Bo tournament (with Hamburger as my partner), and I made it past the first round of the ping-pong tournament. Betcha didn't know I gots skillz.

Tomorrow is the river float. There's no escape. 3 or 4 hours on the Deschutes River. Hamburger and I have a rubber raft we blow up once every year for this occasion. Hopefully, it still holds air. Unfortunately, I don't think I can get away with bringing my book along for the ride.

Oh....and I discovered Sunriver now has a bookstore. I will definitely be returning there to take advantage of the no sales tax. And to console myself for the fact that I can't escape the river float.

13 comment(s):

MackAttack said...

i love hearing about your trip! thanks for posting!! :) mmmmm... brownies.

bkclubcare said...

Sounds fun! and don't you hate it when you cook something for a bunch of people and then never get any? Hope you get your fair share of brownies...

Annie said...

Wow, that sounds like so much fun! I love communal cooking (and eating). Have fun on the river!

beastmomma said...

That sounds very delightful. I like the communal dining plan.

Brad'll Do It said...

Wish we had that cooking plan in Montisi. While you've described what was for dinner, was it good? The river thing sounds okay, unless you can't swim; what about it doesn't appeal to you?

softdrink said...

Brad...you're right, I can't swim. And we do the float every year. The river looks the same, and I end up with a sunburn, despite sunscreen. Mitch and I always fall behind, because our raft is the slowpoke, and someone always complains. It's one tradition I could do without.
On the bright side, all the dinners have been delicious.

Ti said...

Sounds like a fun vacation. I love that everyone takes turns cooking. I always get stressed out when we rent a house because I end up cooking and that isn't any fun at all!

chartroose said...

I just went softdrink stalking! First, I looked at your hilarious wave machine photos, and then I snuck into your flicker account. You've got a great ginormous smile, softdrink! And your mom is cute too.

If the float trip is tradition, I guess you have to go. Drats!

trish said...

I was actually feeling sorry for you having to hang with all those in-laws...but with meals like what you've described, I don't feel sorry AT ALL. Nope. Sorry. No pity here. :D

Dar said...

OMG-all that food sounds sooooo awesome!!! The communal cooking is a great idea although the cooks eating last maybe not so great. lol. Enjoy those brownies, my mouth is watering just thinking about them.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us-it's been fun reading about it.

bethany said...

oh, I have been out of the loop! that looks like so much fun. I love sun river, we went there on our honeymoon and on vacation several times :)

girasoli said...

It sounds like you are having fun (except for the river part). I would switch with you if I could. I love being on the water. Your description of the area reminds me a lot of my time up in Maine and New Hampshire in the summer.

LisaMM said...

Sounds like so much fun!! Even the river, although if I didn't swim I might feel differently! The cooking sounds really great- it's awesome when everyone pitches in (at least that's what I've heard!!!) Ok, off to check out your flickr photos!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top