- Fizzy Thoughts: Vacation Spots

Vacation Spots

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Do you buy books while on vacation/holiday?
Do you have favorite bookstores that you only get to visit while away on a trip?
What/Where are they?

Heck yes! I once went to Seattle, where I bought so many books I had to send them home, because I didn’t have enough room in my luggage. It seemed like every street in Seattle had a bookstore. And a coffee shop. Needless to say, I loved Seattle.

And two years ago, when I was in Portland, I just had to go Powells. Luckily, I had my car on that trip. If I could move anywhere, Portland would be on the shortlist solely because of Powells.

Earlier this year, while in Savannah, I wandered into a few bookstores. And yes, I bought books.

If I’m traveling overseas, I don’t haunt the bookstores. Although in Italy, I bought a book on the Vatican Museums. And a journal. In England, I took pictures of a few bookstores, but I can’t remember going into any. I did go to the British Library. And I met up with a group of BookCrossers at a pub down the street from where I was staying.

The only place I vacation to on a regular basis is Sunriver, Oregon. No bookstore there. But Bend is nearby, and this year I might just have to go exploring for a local bookstore. Oregon doesn’t have sales tax, so I really should take advantage of that. How’s that for an excuse to buy more books?

4 comment(s):

trish said...

I very rarely buy books on vacation. But that probably has to do with the fact that I want to spend my money on other stuff when I'm on vacation. :D

bkclubcare said...

I've definitely been known to buy books in airports. It's my favorite place to hang out btw flights; well, except when my butt's on a barstool...

Ti said...

That's funny! I just posted a bit about this on my blog http://bookchatterandotherstuff.blogspot.com/2008/07/colorado-here-we-come.html

I loved Portland for the same reason as you.. Powell's. Okay there were other reasons but Powell's was a big one.

Chris said...

It sounds like you have lots of book fun while on vacation. We should all do a 'book tour' ;)

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top