- Fizzy Thoughts: geek fact

geek fact

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I've always offered up The Roaches Have No King as the weirdest book I've ever read. I think Geek Love will end up knocking Roaches off its pedestal. I'm halfway through, and let me just say, this is weird shit. For example...

When the work geek is used in this book, it's not referring to nerds. According to wikipedia, the term formerly referred "to a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken, bat, snake or bugs."

All together now...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

9 comment(s):

Jessica said...

I love your blog! So much so that I tagged you for a meme.

Jessica said...

Whoa... so I guess Geek Love is nothing like I thought it would be.

beastmomma said...

The book will get stranger as it continues. I am curious to read what you think of the ending.

herschelian said...

Yuck - those books are now both on my 'Do not waste valuable reading time on this' list.

LisaMM said...

Blech, where is my barf bag????

Do I remember Care talking about this book recently? Did she recommend it?

beastmomma said...

Even though this is not one of my favorite books, I feel compelled to defend it just a little bit. Yes, the story does involve circus performers who may do unsavory things. Ultimately, I think this is a story about people who are outside the mainstream of society struggling to fit in and it is also about learning to figure out strange family dynamics.

Dar said...

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeuck!!! Won't be reading that.

The Daily Rant said...

Wow - I haven't seen this book in forever! I bought this book something like 15 years ago when I was working at hotel in AZ and a friend of mine was in love with this guy who was a total geek. I only bought it for the title and never actually read it.

How funny to see it again and now I can come back here when you are done with it and see what the book is actually about!

Interesting. And like Jessica said - I loev your blog too!

softdrink said...

Jessica 1 - thanks and stay tuned

Jessica 2 - whoa is right

beastmomma - review to be posted shortly

herschelian - I think both books have a lot to offer - but I also think they'd fall into to the love 'em or hate 'em category

Lisa - Care is currently reading it...chartroose posted about it last month, and that's how I got my copy

Dar - it's definitely unique, and not for the weak stomach-ed

Hi Daily Rant - I bet lots of people got sucked in by the title. And I love your blog, too!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top