- Fizzy Thoughts: Gold Medal Reading

Gold Medal Reading

Thursday, August 14, 2008


You, um, may have noticed that the Olympics are going on right now, so that’s the genesis of this week’s question, in two parts:

First:
· Do you or have you ever read books about the Olympics? About sports in general?
· Fictional ones? Or non-fiction? Or both?

And, Second:
· Do you consider yourself a sports fan?
· Because, of course, if you’re a rabid fan and read about sports constantly, there’s a logic there; if you hate sports and never read anything sports-related, that, too … but you don’t have to love sports to enjoy a good sports story.
· (Or a good sports movie, for that matter. Feel free to expand this into a discussion about “Friday Night Lights” or “The Natural” or whatever…)

First, no. Because reading about sports is just a little to close to sport, and god forbid I should have anything to do with exercise.

Okay, I lie. I read The Brothers K. And really, it’s amazing that I even finished, considering there was baseball involved. And out of all the sports, I like baseball the least. In fact, Hamburger and I had this conversation last night while he paused briefly in his channel surfing to check out a baseball game:
HB: Did you know they play over 100 games in a baseball season? That’s a lot of games. How do they do that?
SD: Well, look at them. They’re not even moving. How hard can it be?

Second, no. I only watch sports because I ceded the remote control to Hamburger long ago. I’ve got my books, he’s got the tv. Hamburger is a football fan (unfortunately, he’s a life-long Raiders fan, poor boy). Since it’s impossible to have football on without watching at least some of it (why do men yell during football games?), I finally picked a team of my own in order to make it a little more interesting. Go Packers! Why the Packers? Well, they wear green, they always looked like they were having fun, they do the Lambeau Leap, and it’s pretty much insanity to play football in winter in Wisconsin. And the fans wear cheeseheads. What’s not to like?

We (remember, that’s Hamburger and me, the captive audience) also watch basketball, and I can follow that game because I played when I was in junior high. And the Tour de France. Sort of. Because we watched the first half this year, then we went to Oregon and forgot all about it.

We don’t watch the Olympics. And honestly, I can’t say I miss it.

As far as sports movies go, The Waterboy is a particular favorite of the Hamburger/Softdrink household.

3 comment(s):

Rachael said...

The Waterboy. Hee, hee. That's a fun show. Highly entertaining.

The only sports book I've ever read was a Dale/Nascar fiction thing. Can't say as I'll ever read it again.

Smilingsal said...

Cheeseheads make sense. I suppose that you could be a meal: cheeseburger and soft drink!

J.S. Peyton said...

LOL! I decided the Baltimore Ravens was my favorite football team when I found out they were named after Edgar Allen Poe's poem "The Raven." A football team named after a poem? Say no more.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top