- Fizzy Thoughts: I heart Haruki Murakami

I heart Haruki Murakami

Friday, August 22, 2008

I am currently reading Kafka on the Shore. Since I’m on page 183, I’m going to go ahead and say it. I love this book. Yeah, yeah…I know I said that about In the Woods, and then ended up not liking the book, but I said that on page 101, and seeing’s how I’m so much farther along (hey, 82 pages is a big difference), I’m feeling quite confident that this book is the bomb.

Seriously.

I mean, it’s got talking cats. And lots of weird shit happening, like fish rain and people mysteriously blacking out and Johnnie Walker (that dude is seriously whacked, by the way).

I just know I’m going to be seriously bummed when this book is over. So, help me out. Have you ever read Murakami? What else of his should I read?

6 comment(s):

beastmomma said...

I have only read one other book by him and I LOVED it!!! I need to read more, but I think you would enjoy the Wind Up Bird Chronicle. Here is the link to my review: http://beastmomma.squarespace.com/from-shelf-to-hand/2008/2/3/wind-up-bird-chronicle.html

chartroose said...

I haven't read any of his novels, but I've thought about it on occassion. I guess I'll have to give him a try!

Dar said...

I haven't read any of his but after reading your post I'm thinking maybe I should.

J.S. Peyton said...

I haven't either, but people always have universally good things to say about him that I know I should. I have one of his books around here somewhere...

softdrink said...

beastmomma - thanks! I even went to Borders at lunch and bought the book.

chartroose - I'm thinking you'd like this one.

Dar and J.S. - ditto. :-D

bkclubcare said...

I have this guy on my list due to beastmomma's review of WUBC. And the fact that another friend of mine who is a reporter recently asked some big biker dude what he was reading (She always asks the Q) and this was his response. She was so surprised; she had to buy the book, too.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top