- Fizzy Thoughts: The Lace Reader

The Lace Reader

Wednesday, August 13, 2008


Brunonia Barry
2006
385 pages

This book rocks. It's got everything I love in a book. A different story, a hint of magic, great characters, some mystery, some romance, and a cool setting with lots of history. And a fantastic ending. Without a doubt, this is going onto the list of favorites for the year.

Towner Whitney returns home to Salem, Massachusetts. It's a difficult return...she is recovering from a hysterectomy, her beloved great-aunt is missing, and she is faced with the tragedy of her own past...her twin's suicide. Toss in some witches, an Underground Railroad for abused women, Towner's abusive-evangelist uncle, a history of mental instability and hallucinations, and complicated family dynamics to round out the story. And Rafferty, the local detective who is searching for a missing girl. However, Towner is admittedly a liar, so who knows what is real.

The story alternates between Towner's first person point of view and Rafferty's perspective. And it does it so seamlessly I never even realized the point of view had changed. I was in the shower, thinking about what I had read so far, when all of a sudden I thought, hey...when did that happen! Some people sing in the shower, but I can't carry a tune, so I think about books.


There's a lot going on in the book, but it's still an easy, enjoyable read. It reminds me a bit of The Thirteenth Tale in that it's got that gothic, what the heck is happening here feel to it. Really, you should read it. But you're going to have to find your own copy because according to her website, the author will be in San Jose at the Book Group Expo this October. Woo-hoo!

5 comment(s):

Dar said...

Great review! I loved this book also. Glad you enjoyed it.

softdrink said...

Thanks Dar. Supposedly, it's the first in a trilogy, too. That news made me a happy camper.

Dar said...

Oh my, I did not know this. I would love to read more of this story line.

Amanda said...

Ooo I loved this book too. I linked your review to my review if you don't mind.

softdrink said...

Amanda - not at all...link away!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top