- Fizzy Thoughts: Other Worlds

Other Worlds

Thursday, August 07, 2008


Are there any particular worlds in books where you’d like to live?
Or where you certainly would NOT want to live?
What about authors? If you were a character, who would you trust to write your life?


I could move to Sarah Addison Allen’s world. Especially the one where books magically appear to fit your mood or your need. She adds just a hint of magic to her books. The older I get the more reality I seem to want. As a teenager, I loved science fantasy and wanted to live with dragons (Anne McCaffrey’s Pern) or with super-talented Celtics (Patricia Kennealy’s Keltia) or in any number of other cool sounding places. Today, I just want the magic books.

I’d pass on China Mieville’s King Rat world. Those urban fantasy worlds are just a little too gritty. While I certainly admire the imagination that goes into their creation, I’m not packing up to move there. Same goes for Harry Potter. I don’t want the hassle of Voldemort. And those jellybeans…ugh. With my luck, I’d eat the vomit one. Also, I’m not going anywhere where my hairdryer and curling iron don’t work, so that rules out most historical fiction. Unless it’s a magical historical fiction place where every day is a good hair day.

As far as someone writing my life? Since I’m not about the drama and I want the happily ever after, I’m going to stick with Sarah Addison Allen. Like I said, I just want the magic books. And electricity.

9 comment(s):

trish said...

I forgot that I would surely want my deoderant. And since none of the "natural" stuff works for me, I guess that leaves me in modern times with a hint of magic. I haven't read Garden Spells (isn't that what her book's called?), but that world sounds good to me.

I forgot the part of the question about who I would trust to write my life. I dunno.

Smilingsal said...

I'll stay here and continue to read.

debbsmith said...

Coming in October: IN MY DREAMS, Sarah Addison Allen, audio novella, BelleBooks Audio. Before she sold Garden Spells to New York Sarah wrote short stories for a small southern press, BelleBooks. Now those stories are here, in a 2-CD set read by fellow southern author Deborah Smith (A PLACE TO CALL HOME)
www.bellebooks.com
bellebooks@bellebooks.com

Alyce said...

I've never read any of Sarah Addison Allen's books. I will have to check them out, they sound good.

chartroose said...

Is there a world where you can be uber rich and not have to work? I want to live there!

The only person I would trust to write my life is ME. Anyone else would surely make me appear to be less than I am.

bethany said...

oh I have no idea about science fiction....huh. I didn't even think about heading there. Maybe because I don't usually read those books that I didn't think of that.


interesting though!

anne said...

Cool post, Jill!

I would trust the phenomenal Alice Munroe to write my life.

Like you, I definitely would not want to live in the fantasy worlds any more...I can't run away nearly as fast as in my teen years! I will stay put in this world.

Bluestocking said...

I've had those vomit flavored jean beans by Jelly Belly. It was an experience let me tell you.

softdrink said...

Trish...yes, Garden Spells. And The Sugar Queen (that's the one with the magical books. and toilets. and deoderant. and electricity.).

Sal...how about Europe? I didn't even mention all the travel books I love.

Debb...thanks for the info!

Alyce...yep, two thumbs up and worth a try. :-)

chartroose...why didn't I think of that world?? I am so there with you.

bethany...I got you to read about vampires, so you never know! Although I'm not much of a science fiction fan.

Anne...I've never read any Alice Munro...something else to add to the list!

bluestocking...eeeeewwwwwwwwwww!!!!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top