- Fizzy Thoughts: Sunday Salon

Sunday Salon

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Earlier this week, I was a reading fiend. I finished Going to Bend (which I still need to write a review for), Geek Love and The Lace Reader. Those last two were especially enjoyable. And bonus...I later heard that The Lace Reader is the first of a planned trilogy. I really enjoyed the The Lace Reader's characters and setting, so I'm looking forward to reading more from Brunonia Barry.

After that little mini-marathon I picked up In the Woods, the mystery novel by Tana French that has received quite a bit of favorable press. In the past four days I've read all of 101 pages. I like the story, and the writing style, but it's off to a slow start. I keep hoping for it to pick up, but then I put down the book, so I'm really not giving it much of a chance to pick up, am I?

Today's distractions included two of my current favorite websites, BookMooch and Paperspine, both book related. Another recent diversion (setting up iGoogle pages) provided this literary quote for the day:

"Deprived of meaningful work, men and women lose their reason for existence; they go stark, raving mad."
-Fyodor Dostoevsky

Hmmm. Sorry, Fyodor, but I beg to differ. I could easily stay home and read. Not that I consider my job especially meaningful, but even if it was, I imagine I could easily chuck it for a day home with the books.

5 comment(s):

literatehousewife said...

I've been wanting to read The Lace Reader, but knowing that it's the first of three makes me want to read it even more - but it would be okay to hold off a little so I don't have to wait so long for the sequel. I'm not a very patient person.

gautami tripathy said...

I too wish to read The Lace Reader.

Do check out my Sunday Salon posts :D

SS 1: Review of The Dark Child

SS 2: Musings about books

bkclubcare said...

Meaningful work? Isn't reading educational? thus, meaningful... btw, I bought The Lace Reader. But no challenge! I've got a few other books to read first so it will be awhile.

Ti said...

I just reviewed The Lace Reader on my site. I loved it. I am so glad to know it is part of a trilogy. What a treat!

I also have my eye on In The Woods. I debated with myself about buying it while on vacation. It did not fit into my idea of a vacation read so I opted not to but it's on my TBR list.

Carrie K said...

I was going to send back lace reader, thanks for convincing me not to :)

and as for the quote...reading all day is DEFINITELY meaningful work ;)

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top