- Fizzy Thoughts: why I am not a happy camper

why I am not a happy camper

Monday, August 18, 2008

So the other day I posted a picture of mini-me, all decked out in OshKosh overalls and hiking boots, with a backpack almost as big as me. This was me around age 3 or 4, shortly after the family packed it all up and moved to Oregon. From Los Angeles.

I also commented that I blame that experience for my un-love of camping. And yes, I was joking. Kind of.
I used to go camping with Hamburger. Poor Hamburger loves to camp. Softdrink does not. Because I have a deep and abiding love for flush toilets, mattresses, warm showers, and my hairdryer. And these are things that are not always found in campgrounds. They also weren't found in my Oregon. Not that I needed a hairdryer when I was 4. But a flush toilet would have been nice. I really don't remember much of those years, but I do remember playing with my brother's Matchbox cars in the outhouse. Yes, the outhouse. I was serious about the lack of flush toilets. Because this is where I lived...

I kid you not. My parents converted this old barn into living space. And we lived there for a year.

Then we moved into a real house with real toilets. And I have hated camping ever since.

11 comment(s):

ourpartyof4 said...

I have seen this expression on you somewhere before.....

Dar said...

I can certainly see why this would put you off camping. I got dragged along with my parents until the age of 17 and I too have a deep love for flushing toilets and all the other wonderful amenitites. My parents grew up quite the same. They still enjoy camping-not knowing why...

Brad'll Do It said...

There's a Slow Traveller that I know REALLY WELL whose idea of camping is the same as that of a cousin of mine: a bad Holiday Inn overlooking a forest. (The pop-up tent trailer with SHOWER and THREMOSTAT was left in Northern California when we moved south.)

chartroose said...

Good Lord! That's all I have to say.

softdrink said...

Kate...yes, I've been working on my look of disgust from an early age.

Dar...I forgot to add that it's hard to stay up late reading while camping! Another major inconvenience...

Brad...hah! I can't picture Palma camping.

chartroose...that's pretty much how I felt, too.

bkclubcare said...

LOVE the new avatar! It's almost inspiring me to find some old pics of me as a kid to scan...

Regarding modern plumbing: Everytime the power goes off I feel so blessed and thankful that toilets don't need electricity. (at least at my house, they don't...)

bkclubcare said...

LOVE the new avatar! It's almost inspiring me to find some old pics of me as a kid to scan...

Regarding modern plumbing: Everytime the power goes off I feel so blessed and thankful that toilets don't need electricity. (at least at my house, they don't...)

Jerry said...

My god - I thought that they only did that in Alabama? Today children's services would ahve rescued you from that fate! *smile*

Eden said...

And I thought I had it bad growing up in the Philippines. Not complaining anymore. I am with you on camping though. (I loved Jerry's comments.)

I should show this picture to my kids when they complain about anything... :)

Annie said...

Lord. Was that photo taken before they converted it, I hope?!?

Ti said...

Oh my goodness. That got a chuckle out of me. You poor thing! No wonder you hate camping. What a house!

I am the worst kind of camper. I buy all the outdoorsy mags and use my REI membership to buy stuff and I am always gung ho on going camping..but when the time comes and I am fighting with my tent and getting bitten to death.. I am quickly reminded that there are no Starbucks nearby or running water. Ick Ick Ick.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top