- Fizzy Thoughts: 5 ways blogging has changed my life

5 ways blogging has changed my life

Monday, September 15, 2008

beastmomma (who I should have included in this post...I told you, my brain is fried) recently posted this meme, and invited folks to join her.


Here are the rules:
1. Write about 5 specific ways blogging has affected you, either positively or negatively.
2. Link back to the person who tagged you (and leave a comment on his/her blog after you do the tag). (there was no tagging, but thanks to beastmomma for the inspiration)
3. Link back to this parent post.
4. Tag a few friends or five, or none at all (and inform them about it).
5. Post these rules— or just have fun breaking them.

I think this question is particularly relevant this week, seeing’s how we’re celebrating Book Blogger Appreciation Week (and by the way, does anyone else think next week should be My Friend Amy Appreciation Week?).

I started blogging on LiveJournal at the beginning of 2004. At the time, I was involved in BookCrossing (which is a nifty idea, as long as someone actually finds the book and reads it…I happen to like to know that my books are going places where they will be appreciated, not straight to the used book store), and a group of BookCrossers joined LiveJournal together. That was my intro to blogging. In 2006 I moved over to Blogger, mainly because I have a few friends in real life who also blog here. Somewhere along the way, I ran into Booking Through Thursday, and started connecting with a fantastic community of book bloggers. I blog more about books now than I did back in 2004, or even 2006. Although, as anyone who reads my blog knows, there’s plenty of other crap thrown in the mix. Now, onto the question…how has blogging affected me?

1. I spend way more time on the computer than I ever did before. I think this is a common complaint amongst us readers. We want to spend our spare time with our nose in a book, but we also want to check out what others are reading, and what they might recommend. Or not recommend. So this is both a positive and a bit of a negative.

2. I feel more connected to my fellow readers. I don’t live with a reader (gasp!) and I know very few people in real life who read. I know even fewer who read to the extent that I do. I love being able to post my thoughts on a book and reading what others thought…and responding to others about what they are reading. And other things...'cause it's not always about the books.

3. I am amazed by the generosity of my fellow bloggers. And by the authors. And the publishing companies. I’ll just say it…getting free stuff is fun. And it makes me want to share the love. So this is a good thing for all of us.

4. I’ve been pushed to read outside my box. Okay, not pushed. Inspired. Sure, there are still some things I won’t touch, such as self-help books. Or westerns. Or Stephen King. But there are also books I never would have found if not for my fellow bloggers (Geek Love, anyone?). The only down side to this is that my TBR pile is the largest it’s ever been. Hamburger and I went through a period of buying fixer-uppers and moving every two years. Although we’ve been in the same house for almost four years now, I still live in fear of having to pack and move the TBR pile.


5. The big negative? Now, more than ever, I want to be in a real-life book club!

So there you have it…5 ways that blogging has affected me. How about you? Feel free to join in!

5 comment(s):

Dar said...

Blogging is obsessive I think-I hate to miss anything therefore spend way too much time reading on the computer. However, I've met so many great people that it's all worth it. Like you, neither my friends or family are crazy book lovers like me and being a part of all this makes me feel as close to normal as I'll ever get. lol.

beastmomma said...

Thanks for the shout out!
I can totally relate to spending more time on the computer.

Traci said...

I feel like I could've written this. I would echo everything you said. I definitely spend way too much time on the computer and not enough time with books in hand. Getting books from publishers, authors, publicists, etc. is totally cool. Who knew all you had to do was ask - and sometimes they ask you!?! Reading review books has definitely broadened my literary horizons. I would love to find my own real life book club, but I don't know if time would allow it. But the connection thing is what I feel the most. I spent 4 years in a really rural area, feeling very isolated. We moved to a city a few months ago, so geography has helped, but because I work from home so I can stay with my kids, I still feel very disconnected much of the time. "Chatting" with other bloggers, reading their blogs, seeing their comments on mine - it all makes me feel like I am connected to something again. It's a really nice feeling.

blueviolet said...

I am newly obsessed with reading blogs. I'm scared what would happen to my time if I had my own blog to write. Thus far I haven't allowed myself that option.

softdrink said...

Aww, come on blueviolet...join the rest of us crazies! :-D

Traci - I have yet to pick up my book tonight, since I'm trying to catch up on replies. But the replies are keeping me connected, as you said. It's a lovely vicious circle, isn't it?

beastmomma - you're most welcome.

Dar - this week, with BBAW, has only increased the obsessiveness. *sigh*

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top