- Fizzy Thoughts: Civic disgust

Civic disgust

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Hamburger and I went out to dinner on Sunday night. And no, we didn't go to Lolo's (that was Friday). When we were out last weekend we had noticed a new Italian restaurant down on the Embarcadero, which is the road that runs along the bay. We were all excited, since we love Italian food and Morro Bay's Italian options are pizza (Domino's), pizza (Pizza Port), Sabetta's (marginal take-out that arrives via slow boat from China (or whereever, it's definitely not Italy)) and pizza (Round Table).

You know, when it comes to restaurants, we don't ask for a lot. Luckily, the food was good. The service was not. And it took for-freakin'-ever to get our food. So much for all our excitement about finding a new go-to restaurant. Morro Bay must have 20 restaurants along the Embarcadero, but they all cater to the tourists...either fish and chips, or fancy seafood dinners. If you're a local, you don't go to the Embarcadero. You go to Lolo's. Or Taco Temple.

As we were driving home, Hamburger once again lamented the lack of a frozen yogurt shop in Morro Bay. I mentioned that maybe the ice cream shop had frozen yogurt. Hamburger didn't even know we had an ice cream shop (yes, he really is that clueless). However, it was closed. At 6:30 on a Sunday during Labor Day weekend. Have I mentioned Morro Bay is supposed to be a tourist destination?

So we were talking about how hard it is to support your town and its local businesses when, well, your town sucks. Which then reminded me of this article, which states how broke Morro Bay is. Because we have this butt-ugly power plant that barely produces any more, so the city no longer gets tax revenue (or something like that...there's a reason I didn't major in business or economics). I read another article a couple of days ago that suggests the city might have to dis-incorporate if it can't pull its head out of its ass (okay, that's my interpretation) and fix its budget issues.

Dis-incorporate? I didn't even know cities could do that.

I know, I know, you're wondering why we live here. Well, let me just put it this way...

3 comment(s):

Ti said...

I've found that small beach towns do not typically have good food. They have "touristy" food. We visit Carpinteria religiously and I always get a kick out of the Rainbow Ice Cream/TV Repair shop. Ice Cream in the summer months...TV Repair shop come Fall. What a great use of space.

LisaMM said...

I hate when things take for-freakin-ever!! LOL

Seems those little beach towns roll up the sidewalks really early. I know Pismo is that way too.

Carrie K said...

NO ITALIAN?? I dont think even the gorgeous ocean could overcome that.

:)

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top