- Fizzy Thoughts: No more Rushdie for me

No more Rushdie for me

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Have you ever noticed how Salman Rushdie appears to be smirking in his photos? Sorry you have to click on the linky, but I can't bring myself to post a picture of his face on my blog.

The other day I decided to read some reviews of The Enchantress of Florence, just to see what others had to say. Because I still wasn't convinced he was all that and a bag of chips. So there I was, clicking around the internet, and I kept running into Mr Rushdie with that same damn smirk on his face. To be fair, it could be his version of a smile, but my mind is convinced it's a smirk. As in, I'm a great writer and you're not, nee-neer, nee-neer, smirk.

By the way, as I was gallivanting around the internet, I found this comment by David Gates, in the NY Times Sunday Book Review...

“The Enchantress of Florence” is so pious — especially in its impiety — so pleased with itself and so besotted with the sound of its own voice that even the tritest fancies get a free pass.

Also by the way, I think that's the first time I've ever read a Sunday Book Review review.

So...now that I have that smirky face in my head, and I have the have the weight of the New York Times Sunday Book Review behind me (besotted with the sound of its own voice...hee, hee, hee), I'm feeling even more anti-Enchantress. Totally illogical, I know, but that's me.

Sunday night I decided to give it one final chance. I read a page and realized I had no memory of what I had just read. And I didn't care what was happening to the characters, and although I was on page 139, I had only a glimmer of the story. So I closed the book. For good.

Oh. Wait. One more thing. How do you feel about the chapter titles being the first five (or six or seven or eight, because remember, Rushdie writes damn long sentences) words of the first sentence? Because I don't like it. Especially when the chapter title is it's own page. Then you turn the page and those same five (or six or seven or eight) words are staring you in the face again. And you didn't like them the first time.

I don't know whether to be impressed or disgusted with myself for sticking it out for 139 pages.

9 comment(s):

Ti said...

You know what.. it looks like a smirk to me too. I've never read a Rushdie book, nor have I wanted to so you are not alone!

Eva said...

You know, I really enjoy Rushdie's works (I even consider him a favourite author), but I'm TOTALLY with you on the smirking thing. And he had that cameo in Bridget Jones' Diary and he smirked all through that too: maybe it's just his natural expression?

(And while I loved reading The Enchantress of Florence, I definitely think it was in love with itself too, lol.)

Dar said...

Well I don't blame you for not wanting his face on your blog-I think it's a smirk too.

I think you should have dumped the book earlier. I give it 50 pages and if I'm still disgusted I give up. Life is too short and I have too much to read not to at least partially enjoy them.

J.S. Peyton said...

Like Ti, I've never read any Rushdie nor had much desire to either. BiblioGuy has and insists that the only reason why he gets so much attention is because of the fatwa placed on his head in the 90s. Who can say, but I do think I'll be skipping this one as well.

Ramya said...

hey...i read midnight's children and that is a book on my favorites list now.. i totally loved it.. but confession - i liked it on my third attempt to finish the book.. but i have tried reading satanic verses and fury after that and couldn't get through the books!! i wonder what it is with his complicated writing style!

beastmomma said...

I think he is smirking as well. Like Ramya, I enjoyed Midnight's Children. however, I have not attempted to read anything else by him.

softdrink said...

Hi Ti - I'm in good company, then.

Eva - Glad to see you in the smirking camp. ;-)

Dar - I usually don't stick it out that long. I think I give hardcovers more of a chance. :-D

Biblioaddict - BiblioGuy has an excellent point...that thought crossed my mind, too.

Ramya - OMG, I can't believe you gave it three tries! You deserve a medal.

Beastmomma - well, I have added it to the list of books to giveaway...you may get a chance to snap up another Rushdie. :-D

Carrie K said...

Im impressed you could just give it up! a skill i need to learn so i can skip over the duds and get to the good ones!

bkclubcare said...

Oh great. And I was just psyching myself up for Midnight's Children. At least it seems I will start with one most people enjoyed...

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top