- Fizzy Thoughts: Peer Pressure

Peer Pressure

Thursday, September 04, 2008


I was looking through books yesterday at the shops and saw all the Twilight books, which I know basically nothing about. What I do know is that I’m beginning to feel like I’m the *only* person who knows nothing about them.

Despite being almost broke and trying to save money, I almost bought the expensive book (Australian book prices are often completely nutty) just because I felt the need to be ‘up’ on what everyone else was reading.

Have you ever felt pressured to read something because ‘everyone else’ was reading it? Have you ever given in and read the book(s) in question or do you resist? If you are a reviewer, etc, do you feel it’s your duty to keep up on current trends?


I do this more with authors than books. And it tends not to work out for me. Let me submit into evidence Exhibit A. And Exhibit B. I had wanted to read both Rushdie and Allende to see what all the fuss was about…unfortunately, I think I chose the wrong book in both cases and I’m not feeling like running out to buy another and try again.

Although I did recently give Ann Patchett a second chance, despite twice failing to finish Bel Canto. And I read Run in two nights and loved it. Go figure.

I did read the Twilight books after seeing them mentioned on what seems like everyone’s blog. But while that was what brought them into my radar, I read them because they sounded interesting. I do this with other books, too, but as with Twilight, it’s more about what sounds interesting than what the cool kids are reading. Of course, not all the books end up holding my interest. But that’s another story.

I can refuse peer pressure. And be perverse about it (just ask my mom). I never saw Titanic (except for in bits and pieces, because it’s hard to escape when Hamburger falls asleep with the remote clutched in his had and it comes on tv)…I don’t know about you, but I had no desire to watch the movie when everyone knows the boat is going to sink and there will be unhappiness. And possibly tears. Even though I used a movie as an example, instead of a book, what I’m saying is that there will be some trends that I refuse to join. And there will be some (hello Twilight) that I embrace. And some that completely escape my notice (I’d give you an example, but that would mean I had to notice it). And others that I have no desire to even try (skinny leg jeans, for example. And Stephen King.).

3 comment(s):

bethany said...

oh, no way!! I have steered clear of the titanic too. And as you know people flip out when I tell them. For me it was mostly that I had a roommate who lived the " my heart will go on" song daily on our cd player....it made me hate the song, the movie....but my roommate was really okay (for the most part :)

glad to see we have something else in common girl. I just got Run....I hope we have that in common too!!

Book Zombie said...

I don't give into pressure about books, I read what interests me.

I've never seen Titanic either, for the same reason (why waste 2 hours when you know it sinks) with my hatred of DiCaprio thrown in for good measure.

Skinny jeans are currently my most hated thing in the world!! What are people thinking?

Ti said...

The best, best, best, Stephen King book is The Stand. If you read that, you will forever think differently of him. I promise. All his new stuff does not do it for me, but The Stand... I spent many a night reading it and wondering how he could weave so many characters into the storyline without forgetting some of them along the way. Even my book group agreed and they detest him.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top