- Fizzy Thoughts: softdrink's book closet

softdrink's book closet

Monday, September 01, 2008

So you know how yesterday I mentioned the books that were cowering in the bedroom? Well, they had good reason…I’ve read most of them. So now their cushy life is over. They’ve been relegated to the shelf in the closet now reserved for books on their way out (of my house). Poor things…I think I hurt their feelings.

Most of the books are travelogues, or books written by people living in another country (or Alaska, which might as well be another country). These are them…

It’s Not About the Tapas (Spain on a bicycle)
A Thousand Days in Venice (I married an Italian, blah, blah, blah)
Falling Palace (Italy)
Vroom with a View (Italy on a vespa...hence the vroom)
If You Lived Here I’d Know Your Name (life in small town Alaska)
Ciao America (an Italian in America)
Almost French (an Australian marries a Frenchman)
On Mexican Time (the joys of buying a fixer-upper in Mexico)
Paris to the Moon (Paris, duh)
A Season with Verona (soccer in Italy)

Then there are the books I’m ready to admit I will never finish…

The Enchantress of Florence (I tried, really, I did)
Peace Like a River (brothers, a murder...I think)
Saving Fish from Drowning (I came very close to finishing this, but that was 2 years ago)
Madeleine is Sleeping (I seem to recall thinking, "you've got to be kidding")
The Sister (please note, this is an ARC)

And finally, there are the straight up fiction books that I’ve read, either recently or so not recently that I don’t even remember what they’re about…

Bread Alone (set in Seattle)
Waxwings (another Seattle book)
A Complicated Kindness my selection for Trish
The Geographer’s Library (murder and mystical items)
The Archivist (something about T.S. Eliot's letters, and a library)
Kafka on the Shore (Eva claimed this one, but you should go find your own copy and read this book)

So all that time spent this weekend on purging bookshelves, and I still have a pile of books to get rid of. Lucky for you, I have a plan. I will give a book of their choice from the above list to the first person who can tell me the html code for strike through. Because I’m too lazy to google it, and blogger doesn’t seem to think anyone would want to use strike throughs. Why do I want to know how to strike through text? Because…

Starting this week, every Friday morning (or thereabouts) I will choose one person from all the comments received during the previous week. The lucky winner can choose from any book still on the list (and I might just continue to add to the list, too, because I'm sure many of you are thinking travelogues??? shoot me now.). And yes, the more comments you leave, the better your chances are.

I will do this every week until I get rid of the books, or I get tired of going to the post office, or I just plain ol’ get tired. And if I'm out of town, there might be delays. And some books may mysteriously disappear, so don't pin your hopes on something, because I might suddenly decide my mom must read this book. Okay, probably not, but I'm trying to cover all the bases here.

10 comment(s):

Eva said...

It's just strike with <> around it! ;)

softdrink said...

Well isn't that ridiculously easy. What book would you like?

Eva said...

Ohhhh....how about Kafka On Shore?! I keep meaning to read it, and I think I picked it for my Japanese challenge, and you say I need to read it, so a copy would be awesome! :D

Your e-mail addy isn't in your profile, but if you send an e-mail to astripedarmchair AT gmail DOT com, I can e-mail you my mailing address (I live in Cali now too!).

beastmomma said...

OMG! I wish that I had gotten that code to you first. Anyway, I am excited for the upcoming contests.

Carrie K said...

new books are fun but well loved used books are better!

love the list...

Ramya said...

wow! you DO have a lot of books to giveaway.. i donated a bunch of books to the library before i got into the book blog thing.. i should have just kept them and had a huge giveaway in my blog! i love the giveaways organized by all of you!

chartroose said...

Hey, Don't give Waxwings away. Read it, it's really good!

softdrink said...

chartroose - I read it, really I did! But it's been awhile and I don't remember much.

bkclubcare said...

You are terrific... this is me waving, saying hi!!

softdrink said...

Hi Care!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top