- Fizzy Thoughts: The Sunday Salon

The Sunday Salon

Sunday, September 28, 2008

I should be packing, but instead I've spent most of the morning engrossed in The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

I have to say though, that I am not reading this because of she who shall not be named. Once again, I'm a little peeved at the O woman. Every once in awhile I succumb and buy one her magazines, usually because there is something about books. This month I bought the Home magazine, which featured articles about books. Then I got pissed off when I read the caption under one article, which claims she (and yes, I'm going to write this whole post without typing her actual name) is the "woman who got America reading."

Oh please. Spare me your ego. And the knowledge that you have your own personal librarian.

My boss gave me this book before I even knew it was the diva's latest claim to fame. So I'm happy to report I don't have to look at her name on cover. Which is a good thing, because at 562 pages, I have the feeling I'll be looking at it for awhile.

Yesterday I finished The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. Oscar and Edgar could not be anymore different, and I'm talking about both the books and the characters. Fortunately, they both make for good reading, so I've been enjoying my current book choices.

And now, I really need to get on with the packing. I'll out of town for a training all week, so I have to pack both work clothes and comfortable clothes, and books, because it's important to have all the comforts of home to console you when you don't even want to be away from home.

12 comment(s):

bkclubcare said...

1. Have fun on your trip!
2. That woman who shall not be named doesn't really bother me. In fact, I just ignore it all...
3. I am so excited to read your thoughts on Oscar Wao! REALLY! I can't wait!
4. um, let's see... You'll be a dynamite cheerleader!
5. Congrats on all that stuff you got done for Geek Week #18.

Ramya said...

hey..please stop by my blog.. i have a little something for you there!:)

Ti said...

I wouldn't say she got America reading, but there are a lot of people out there that seem to buy (or not buy)what she IS or ISN'T pushing. I saw Edgar at Costco this afternoon and passed it over just because she picked it. Call me difficult.

As for the work thing. The last time I went away on business the hotel was so incredibly nice that I spent the majority of my free time in the jacuzzi tub and would not read for fear of dropping the book in there. I had a whole suitcase of books too. I hope you get more reading in that I did.

Have a great trip!

Karen Harrington said...

Very nice post. I, too, like to enjoy books well before or well after the big hoopla about them has begun. I'm hoping to get to Edgar soon as well.

Tracy said...

I read Edgar before O picked it and loved it, you're in for a treat. Have a great trip!

Ladytink_534 said...

I'm glad she got some people to read but seriously, I agree with you about the ego thing.

lisamm said...

Have a good trip!!

I like that 'woman who won't be named' in your post. In small doses. When she's not being all preachy. And when she's not being all 'girl' this and 'sister friend' that. She didn't get ME reading but I think there are more than a few who got back into reading because of her book club and who rely on her to pick books for them (because how else would they know what to read?? LOL) Her book club was a shot in the arm of the publishing industry in the late 1990's and I know she's done so much to promote literacy in this country and around the world. Yeah I like her, although at times she does bug me.

Book Zombie said...

That's awesome that you got a copy without 'that womans' seal of approval on the cover. I refuse to buy a book with her on the cover. I'm snarky, but I'd rather not have people come up to me and say "Oh you're reading 'that woman's' book" as though the book I'm holding was written by her (okay I'm really snarky) :)

Melanie said...

I got a ARC copy of the book at the Public Library Association meeting in March. I should have read it then. I also should have read it when my online book club read it, but didn't get to it then either. And since she picked it, now I don't know if I'll ever read it :(

Dar said...

I agree with you on that woman who shall not be named. I had the Story of Edgar already because it had been recommended on our book site Chapters here in Canada as a best pick. I can't wait to see your review as it'll be a while before I can get to it.

Sorry you have to go out of town on training but thank goodness you'll have your books. Stay safe and have a good trip.

Icedream said...

I can't wait for your comment on Wonderous Life, its been on my wish list a long time. I read reviews of Edgar on blogs and that got me wanting to read it (I have it right now) but I disagree a bit about you know who. I have enjoyed many books she chose (especially the older ones) so when she recommends I am interested enough to check it out for myself. I do wish they would quit ruining the covers of books by putting the big "O" stamp on them though! LOL

Dreamybee said...

I too have a pre-O-approved copy of Edgar Sawtelle (well, ok, it's on my Kindle, but it was still due to other blog reviews I had read about it months ago), and so far I love it! I can't wait to hear what you think about it!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top