- Fizzy Thoughts: Best (the late edition of booking through Thursday)

Best (the late edition of booking through Thursday)

Thursday, October 02, 2008


What, in your opinion, is the best book that you haven’t liked? Mind you, I don’t mean your most-hated book–oh, no. I mean the most accomplished, skilled, well-written, impressive book that you just simply didn’t like.

Like, for movies–I can acknowledge that Citizen Kane is a tour de force and is all sorts of wonderful, cinematically speaking, but . . . I just don’t like it. I find it impressive and quite an accomplishment, but it’s not my cup of tea.

So . . . what book (or books) is your Citizen Kane?

I'm going to go with two that I usually (not always, but usually) see rave reviews for, but that left me cold.

The Poisonwood Bible:

seriously, I should have saved myself the agony and just stuck with poison

The Memory Keeper's Daughter:

this is what I had to say, two years ago:
The book begins in 1964, when Dr. David Henry's wife gives birth to twins at his clinic during a snowstorm. The daughter has Downs Syndrome, and thinking he's doing everyone a favor, he gives the baby to his nurse to take to an institution and tells his wife the baby died. And then he never tells her the truth. Ever. Meanwhile, the nurse disappears with the baby and raises her as her own daughter. Dr. Henry has issues from his childhood that led him to make certain decisions, but good grief, get over yourself! Anyway, the book follows the two families for the next thirty years and then has a tidy little ending. However, I still can't get past Dr. Henry and his mammoth self-centeredness, not to mention the fact that most of the main characters couldn't quite seem to be truthful about their lives.

Wait...let's make that three and add In the Woods.

Can I get an amen on any of these?

And blogger is being remarkabkly uncooperative (the little bastard) tonight in regards to formatting, so please don't blame me for any wacky formating/spacing issues. Since when does space bar = a new paragraph???

12 comment(s):

jlshall said...

Haven't read any of the books you mention, although I did buy a copy of Memory Keeper's Daughter a year or so ago. And I had every intention of reading it, but all the reviews just kept sounding so incredibly depressing, I stuck it on a shelf and it's probably going to stay there.

Carrie K said...

amen and high five on the memory keepers daughter...i desperately wanted to love that book. and a few things i did like but after finishing i was left feeling empty and annoyed.

i read poisonwood bible a long time ago and i remember liking it but at this point i cant say why...or refute your claim to NOT liking it...haahaa

i think i need to go watch citizen kane now...lol

J.S. Peyton said...

I briefly considered reading "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" merely because I kept seeing it everywhere I went. Then a few bloggers to whom I owe a great debt told me that it was wildly overrated and not to bother. From what you say here, I'm glad I didn't bother. Unfortunately...

I do have a copy of "In the Woods" on my shelf. The possibility that I'll read this book anytime soon keeps getting smaller and smaller...

Susan B. Evans said...

I'm with you on Memory Keepers Daughter I didn't even finish it.

Shana @ Literarily said...

Arrggghhh, I really enjoyed the first two.

The Poisonwood Bible had me wanting to jump into the pages of the book and physically harm the father.

The Memory Keeper's Daughter I especially liked because we used to live in Lexington, KY where part of the book was set.

I haven't read Into the Woods. It's never really appealed to me for some reason, so I guess I'm partially with you there!

Book Zombie said...

Total amen on Memory Keeper's Daughter. I couldn't get into this book no matter how hard I tried. The characters were annoying at best and for some reason I feel like I've heard the story before (maybe I read something with a similar plot), but it felt very unoriginal.

Dar said...

I'm with Shana, I liked both books. I haven't read Into the Woods and probably won't. lol.

Ti said...

Amen to Memory Keeper. I hated that book too.

One book that everyone raves about that I cannot for the life of me wrap my brain around, is Catch 22. My entire book group fought not to throw it against the wall.

Daphne said...

How funny, Poisonwood Bible is on my Best Books Ever list, and I liked Memory Keeper's Daughter pretty well (although I didn't LOVE it). However, I did NOT like She's Come Undone, which everyone else raves about. I kind of hated it. Also I was not thrilled with Outlander, which also seems to have a pretty wide fan base.

Kim said...

I couldn't stand Poisonwood Bible and I usually always finish a book I start, but this one I had to quit. As a matter of fact, I think it deterred me from reading for a long time after that. Ick.

Red lady-Bonnie said...

I am finding it so interesting to read the answers to this question.
I liked the first two on your list very much. Poisonwood Bible was a challenge to read but the story was very powerful,IMO. My choice is a controversial one that most people like!

Eva said...

I f'ing HATED Memory Keepers' Daughter. Abandoned it. Not only did were the characters and plot dull/not something I cared about, but the actual WRITING was just horrible! *shudder*

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top