- Fizzy Thoughts: literary couplets

literary couplets

Thursday, October 23, 2008


Name a favorite literary couple and tell me why they are a favorite. If you cannot choose just one, that is okay too. Name as many as you like–sometimes narrowing down a list can be extremely difficult and painful. Or maybe that’s just me.

I'm no good at questions like this. So I'm going to propose a couple many of you probably have forgotten:

Jack and Jill

You know, them of the hill. And the pail of water.

Why Jack and Jill? Well, when you grow up with the name Jill, they're kinda hard to escape. In fact, we were particularly close in 6th grade when the boys on the playground took great delight in retelling the story of Jack and Jill. Who knew they could get into so much trouble on that hill? Then there were the waitress years. Every once in awhile someone, after I said "My name is Jill and I'll be your server this evening," would kindly inquire after Jack. Wasn't that sweet of them? Then there is the fun of meeting someone whose name really is Jack. Imagine. "Hi Jack. I'm Jill." Another precious, memorable moment in my life.

Plus, is it weren't for this couple, I could've been a Millicent. Or a Gertrude. Because my dad always said I was named after my mom's favorite story.

So there you have it...my favorite literary couple. I thought about adding Dick and Jane to the list, but I have to go get ready for work now, so I'll save them for next time.

17 comment(s):

bermudaonion said...

Oh my gosh! I laughed so hard at your answer.

Laza said...

Haha! Great answer! Definitely got in my morning laugh. :)

Smilingsal said...

lol A perfect answer! (I'm glad that you didn't say Dick and Jane; they were brother and sister, weren't they?)

Ethan, Zach, and Emma's Mom said...

LOL! Great answer! Thanks for making me laugh this morning!

Susan B. Evans said...

Great answer! How could I have forgotten Jack and Jill in my answer this morning :)

bethany said...

that is a great pick...especially if you could have been named Millicent!!! :) I don't think that would have fit very well.

Dar said...

You crack me up Jill!

shelburns said...

I love it! And you're right; I forgot about them...that's sad for a former kindergarten teacher. :-(

Mary Beth said...

What a great answer! Have you read Jack and Jill by Louisa May Alcott? It's one of my favorites by her!

Cathy said...

Have you ever had green tea spurt up through your nose? LOL

tuesday said...

Hahahah! You're awesome; I think you should be awarded 'Best Answer of the Week' :)

The Social Frog said...

Very good choices :)LOL

Shana said...

Hehe, kind of like having people call you Shana-Banana and then think they're being hilarious and original when in fact it's the 10,000th time you've heard it :)

Shana
Literarily

bkclubcare said...

I like to tell people I was named after the book and the song (Whitesnake, maybe?) and I always get a frightened look back. Such fun! - Carrie

chartroose said...

Har! Very funny! Me not think too good right now, so me leave. I can get into your site again!

bkclubcare said...

Btw, CONGRATS on being the RAT Most-Enthused Cheer-er!!

Bookfool said...

Hahaha! Best answer EVER!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top