- Fizzy Thoughts: The Sunday Salon and Weekly Geeks: a 2 fer 1 special

The Sunday Salon and Weekly Geeks: a 2 fer 1 special

Sunday, October 05, 2008



First of all, thanks to everyone who left supportive comments on my whiny posts this week. After a week spent out of town for work, I am happily back home, well-rested, and back to my (ab)normal fizzy self.



On a sort of book related note, Hamburger and I rented No Country for Old Men last night. And I feel confident in stating that I will not be reading that book. Not that I had planned to, but now I really don't plan to. Hamburger and I are both fans of Fargo and Burn After Reading. Yesterday, while at my cousin's wedding, my brother recommended No Country for Old Men. He said it was funny. Dark, but funny. I don't know what my brother's been smoking, but that was not a funny movie. Violent, yes. Ha, ha...no.



I've read some wonderful books over the last week, although I haven't written a single review. So, upcoming blog posts will include reviews of:



I also started Their Eyes Were Watching God, in honor of Banned Books Week. Although Banned Books Week is now over, I'm still reading the book, so my timing is a little off. Oh well, it's the thought that counts, right?


In other news, Dewey is compiling a list of top books of 2008. Contribute your top 10 list of books published in 2008 here and you'll sleep soundly knowing you've done your part in compiling the most important top 10 list of the year. Oh, and if that isn't enough to convince you, Dewey is giving away books to further entice you.

6 comment(s):

Dar said...

I can't wait for your reviews-especially Edgar Sawtelle and The Last Queen. I have Edgar sitting on my shelf-hope it was good.

Icedream said...

My son and I are really looking forward to watching Burn After Reading. I agree, No Country For Old Men was really violent. Good acting though. Since I saw the movie first I doubt I will be reading the book. I will watch a movie after I read a book but rarely do the reverse.

marta said...

I didn't think No Country was funny either. I've only read one of Cormac McCarthy's novels - "All the Pretty Horses" and that was enough for me. I love novels set in the West (Angle of Repose, Riders of the Purple Sage for example) so I read "All the Pretty Horses". I didn't like it at all.

Many of his novels are extremely violent especially towards women. I almost did not see No Country specifically because I really think McCarthy is an extreme misogynist. But I did and I think the Coen Brothers did a good job and the acting was wonderful. But he is one person I would never want to meet. His visions of evil and destruction are too vivid and real.

My husband read "The Road". It may end up being an interesting movie. I heard they are filming it up here in the Northwest and have it set in the forest clearcuts to show a world devastated. I'll see the movie but pass on the novel.

softdrink said...

Dar - Edgar will post tomorrow, although it doesn't say much. The Last Queen still needs to be written.

Icedream - how old is your son?? Because there's this one scene...
And yes, the acting in No Country was fantastic.

Marta - I started The Road, but didn't get very far. And now that you've said he's misogynistic, I don't have any desire to seek out his other books.

bkclubcare said...

Of course, I respect your wishes to not read No Country but I loved the book. and if you enjoy considering how awesome the Coens did to adapt such a thoughtful (as in full of THOUGHTS) then try it. My review is here. (I hope this linking works?!)

bkclubcare said...

I'll stop beating this horse but wanted to refer you to my movie review, too: here.

Thx for indulging me.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top