- Fizzy Thoughts: What's sitting on your shelf?

What's sitting on your shelf?

Friday, October 17, 2008


Avid readers know all too well how easy it is to acquire books — it’s the letting go that’s the difficult part. … During the past 20 years, in which books have played a significant role in both my personal and professional lives, I’ve certainly had my fair share of them (and some might say several others’ shares) in my library. Many were read and saved for posterity, others eventually, but still reluctantly, sent back out into the world.

But there is also a category of titles that I’ve clung to for years, as they survived numerous purges, frequent library donations and countless changes of residence. I’ve yet to read them, but am absolutely certain I will. And should. When, I’m not sure, as I’m constantly distracted by the recent, just published and soon to be published works.

So, the question is his: “What tomes are waiting patiently on your shelves?“

Yes, yes…I know it’s no longer Thursday. I’m a little behind this week.

Back in August, I actually cleaned out my bookshelves. However, I still have many, many books that refused to leave. A sampling:

  • Queen Isabella (my inner historian demands I hang on to this one)
  • Anansi Boys (I can't believe I have an unread Gaiman on my shelves)
  • One Hundred Years of Solitude (still around despite two failed attempts at reading)
  • My Friend Leonard (purchased before the shit hit the fan for Mr. Frey)
  • Anna Karenina (a coworker gave this to me years ago, and even though she quit about 5 years ago, I still have the book…mostly because Powell's won’t buy it)
  • The Book Thief (it went into hiding for a few months, but I found it when I cleaned out all the places I had stashed books)
  • Paradise News (I don't even know where this book came from)

If I were sitting in front of the bookshelves, I could list about 100 more. But I'm not, and it's early, so my brain is stopping now.

2 comment(s):

Ti said...

I am going to make an effort to read more of the classics in 2009. Anna Karenina has been on my list for that purpose. My book group mentioned a "return to the classics" as well. Maybe I will FINALLY read Moby Dick. Ya think?

softdrink said...

Well, if you need a copy of Anna K., let me know! You can read it for me. :-D

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top