- Fizzy Thoughts: guest post - Diana Spechler

guest post - Diana Spechler

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Today I have a guest post from the talented Diana Spechler, author of Who By Fire. Check out my post from yesterday if you want to see me gush about her book.




Will You Remember Me?



I spent four and a half years of my life writing my novel, and then another year and a half waiting for my agent to sell it, for my editor to edit it, and for my publisher to produce it and stock the shelves with it. That’s six years I spent obsessing over my novel. And believe me, now that it’s out, the obsession continues. Nothing is more gratifying than knowing that people—real people! not just, like, you know, my mom—are reading my book. I love every angle from which reviewers have considered it, every bookstore that carries it, every single person who takes the time to read it. There’s only one thing about the entire process that I have found relentlessly annoying: a question that has found its way into the collective mouth of The People I Know: “Will you remember me when you’re famous?”

I’ve been asked this question approximately seventy-two thousand times since I sold my book. Each time, it feels like someone is rubbing my nerves with a cheese-grater. Here are some of the answers I’ve been tempted to give:

  1. I am a far cry from famous. I live in a 200-square-foot apartment. Recently, I paid the last three dollars of my rent with nickels. I’m a cocktail waitress! In a bar! Where drunk men ask my breasts for scotch! Writing a book has not made me famous!
  2. Does fame cause memory loss? Are famous people forgetful? How many famous people do you know? How many of them seem to forget things more frequently than, say, you?
  3. There is no answer to this question. We all wonder about the future. Will we be cloned? Will we find contentment? Will the world end in 2012, as many confident experts have predicted? There’s no way I can say for sure whether or not I will forget you. I can guess. I can hypothesize. I can employ the scientific method. But I cannot be certain. I might forget you. I might not.
  4. Sorry…what’s your name again?

    Recently, I was working at the bar when a drunk guy approached me. “How’s the book going?” he asked.
    “Good, good,” I said, smiling. “Thanks.”
    “Yeah? You traveling all over?” “Yup,” I said. “Lots of traveling.”
    “Are you going to forget me when you’re famous?”
    I looked at the man. He was wearing a suit. He was sweating from his forehead a little, the way men sometimes do when they’ve had too many drinks. His tie was loosened and crooked, like a caricature of a drunk guy. He was grinning down at me, swaying slightly on his feet. I had no idea who he was.
    “You?” I said. I gave him a friendly punch in the arm. “You I could never forget.”

Diana Spechler
Author of
Who By Fire
http://www.dianaspechler.com/
www.harpercollins.com/DianaSpechler


Thanks to Diana for this guest post, and for writing such a wonderful book. Good luck with your next novel...I'm looking forward to reading it!

7 comment(s):

bermudaonion said...

Well, if the reviews I've read are any indication, Diana will be famous before it's all over. I love this post, by the way!

Care said...

Fame is a funny thing, huh?

Congrats to you, I'm looking forward to reading your book, and appreciate your enthusiasm for book-blogging. Here's wishing you whatever success means to you!

Michele said...

What a fun post, Diana! I'd never have thought about it, but those questions do have to get annoying. However, I do think you'll be famous soon - I hear great things about your book!

Thanks fizzy!

Dar said...

This was a great post Diana! Funny how people presume because you've sold a book you're rich and famous. I think though maybe you're on your way and that's a good thing. I have your book and will be reading it soon. I have heard so many good things about it so I'm really looking forward to it.

beastmomma said...

She is so funny!

Ramya said...

this is an amazing guest post.. this and your review have totally made me want to read this book! it somehowz drives home the point that authors are "normal" human beings as well..:)

Jo-Jo said...

A cocktail waitress...who would have thought? What a great post...Diana seems very down to earth!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top