- Fizzy Thoughts: I'm a bookworm

I'm a bookworm

Saturday, November 15, 2008


Lou, all the way over in Denmark, tagged me with the Bookworm Award. Along with the lovely picture, it requires you to:

Open the closest book to you, not your favorite or most intellectual book, but the book closest to you at the moment, to page 56. Write out the fifth sentence, as well as two to five sentences following there.

I am still reading You Shall Know Our Velocity! Some of you may be familiar with it from my Tuesday Teaser, although it didn't really say much. So here's a little more:

"We wanted to swim but we would have to find a beach. And we needed to move. We had a plan.
First, drive south along the coast to the Sine-Saloum Delta to see mangroves and crocodiles, then
Slip into The Gambia, visas be damned, then
Follow the River Gambja up to Georgetown, then
Swing back up, into southern Senegal and
Back in time for a late-evening flight to, ideally, Moscow. Easy."

That might seem like more than five sentences, but I was counting periods, not capitals.

I'm also supposed to tag five people, so here goes:
Dar
Joanne
Rochelle
Ti
Wendy

I didn't get any reading in on the drive home from Sacramento (it's about a five hour drive...I could've finished my book!) because I was a nice person and drove all the way. I was kinda enjoying the rental car, since they gave us a Nissan Altima. It was comfy and zippy and oh so easy to drive. I've always been a die-hard Honda fan, but this car may be a serious contender when it's time to go new car shopping.

In the good news department, I am home for good (except for a short girlfriend getaway planned for next month). My work trips are all done, and I plan on being a serious homebody for the next few months. Hopefully, I'll get back into bookworm mode, too, so I can live up to my award.

7 comment(s):

Ti said...

Thank for the nod. I posted mine here:

http://bookchatterandotherstuff.blogspot.com/2008/11/winner-winner-chicken-dinner.html

I cannot read in the car at all. I get carsick within just a few minutes. I enjoy audio books though on long trips.

I don't think my work will be sending me anywhere anytime soon. The state budget will see to that but I don't mind. I hate being away from home.

Veens said...

:)

I m glad u enjoyed yur trip :) Actually i didn't get aby reading done this week :(

with so so much work and shopping and what not :(

but then i hope to catch up on it- tomorrow on!

Glad u r back :)

andthanks for commenting out at my blog :)

bkclubcare said...

I can read in the car unless we are going up and down hills and curves. I've even read while driving. (not practical) Enjoy being a homebody.

Bogsider said...

Yes, enjoy your hometime :o) I am one of those who cannot read in a car either. I feel sick within a matter of minutes if I try reading in a car. But then again, I do not drive a car or ride in on that often anyway ;o)

Dar said...

A girlfriend getaway will be fun-going anywhere exciting?

Thanks for tagging me for the award. At least you had short sentences. lol. Mine is here:
http://peekingbetweenthepages.blogspot.com/2008/11/im-bookworm.html

Book Zombie (Joanne) said...

Oh fabulous, Dave Eggers. I've had this one on my wishlist for awhile now. I really enjoyed Heartbreaking Work.

Thanks for tagging me, my post is up here - http://bookzombie.blogspot.com/2008/11/sunday-salon-odds-ends.html

softdrink said...

I can read in the car, so I lost five hours of prime reading time. Actually, 10 hours, since I drove going up, too. Oh well...at least one of my co-workers bought me a latte in thanks!

Dar - we're going to Monterey, but just overnight. We haven't all been together in about 10 years, so it should be fun!

Joanne - Velocity fizzled about 1/2 way through...I don't know if I can do any more Eggers after this.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top