- Fizzy Thoughts: I'm weird - again

I'm weird - again

Saturday, November 22, 2008


Marina tagged me for this one, and I think I might just be the last person in the blogging universe to do it (except for Rochelle, so guess who just got tagged?). Actually, I think I have done it, but not in relation to books.

So, rules above, and here we go.

1. I almost always read the end of the book first. And I know there are others like me.

2. I have never read a Stephen King book, and you can't make me. I have, however, read many of his wife's books. Have you?

3. I have no memories of learning to read, or of being read to. Yet I can't remember a time when I didn't love reading.

4. I have shelves at Library Thing and Good Reads, although I never update them. Since I get rid of most of my books after they're read, it seems pointless to keep a virtual bookshelf. I should delete the accounts, but I like the Good Reads newsletter.

5. When I travel I love to buy bookmarks from the places I've visited. Except then I get home and never use them.

6. I want to be a librarian. Except librarians in our area make less money than I do, so that's a job move that just won't happen.

7. My boyfriend is not a reader. At all. He's read one book in the 16 years we've been together. However, he's very accepting of all the time I spend with my nose in a book. And at bookstores.

I would tag seven people, but I think you all have done this. Except for Rochelle, who needs to tell the world why she named her fish Oshima.

12 comment(s):

bermudaonion said...

I've never read any of Stephen King's or his wife's books. I didn't even know she was an author until I read it in your post.

Dar said...

I can't understand reading the end of a book-lol. Doesn't it ruin the story for you-well obviously not since you're still doing it. I have read The Trap by Tabitha King but that's the only one. I do remember liking it. Have you read lots of hers?

jdeq said...

I'm with you on # 1 - some suggest it is a control issue. Agree with # 2 as well - Stephen King? Ewwwww Save the job change until after you retire - perfect opportunity to bury yourself in books and then you won't worry about pay!

Have a great weekend, Jill!

girasoli said...

I also read the end of the book but not til after I read 25 or 30 pages (trying my best not to peek but it never works).

The only Stephen King book I have ever read was Faithful (about the Red Sox). I don't even like the movies made from his books.

I have a friend who is a librarian. She loves it. School librarians get the same pay as teachers... not great but not horrible and we do get extra vacation time.

Chris said...

For shame! Reading the end of a book first...tsk tsk ;) kidding of course, but I could never do that!

I can't imagine giving all of my books away after I read them, lol. I have an obsession with not just reading, but collecting them. It gets a little out of control though :p

And I used to want to be a librarian too, but I shied away from that for the same reason as you :(

Bookfool said...

I don't usually read the end of a book first, but sometimes I do -- and I totally get why you do it, even though you didn't say.

I've never read anything by Tabitha, and only one book by Stephen. My husband periodically gets mistaken for Stephen King. He looks NOTHING LIKE Stephen King. He has a baby face with cute little dimples, for crying out loud! King has a long, narrow face and he's weird looking.

Our librarians make minimum wage. That is so sad.

Ti said...

I'm telling you... The Stand by Stephen King will change your opinion of him and his writing. Two chapters. That's all I'm asking for.

I always thought being a librarian would be cool but it's all about technology now. Research, etc. The librarians at the university I work for get paid well and they are tenured. Medical librarians usually do well too.

softdrink said...

Kathy - excellent, a fellow non-Stephen King reader!

Dar - I read most of the Nodd's Ridge books, but it's been over 10 years since I read them. And no, it doesn't ruin the book! If it's a lousy ending, sometimes I skip the book altogether. So see, it can become a time-saver! :-D And I've never been much of a let the suspense build person. I can't stand it!

Jerry - it's not control, it's time management. And can I retire now?

girasoli - leave it to you to find a Stephen King book about the Red Sox!

Chris - boxes of books are very heavy at moving time. That pretty much cured me of keeping them around.

Bookfool - I've always thought he was weird looking, too. He has a heavy looking face.

Ti - You know, it's just not right hat we have to decide on a college major when we're so young!

Chele by the Sea said...

Oshima's story is now on my blog. :)

softdrink said...

Rochelle, you follow direction so well. If I were your boss, you'd totally get that almost-corner office!

trish said...

1. I'm just like you.

2. I've only read ONE Stephen King book, but I'm actually smack dab in the middle of Thinner (Richard Bachman). I haven't read any of his wife's books.

3. Me too.

7. Dave does enjoy reading, but he doesn't do it. But he's very accepting of my reading habits, too. :-)

Veens said...

I did this tag recently :)

I read the last page of the novella :D

I have readonly one Stephen King novella - Lisey's Story.. and guess what I am not going to pick up any of his books :)
Nope.. didn't even know he had a wife LOL!
I like LT because I love the tagging... and i njoi it anyways... yep i like the newsletter from goodreads :)
ohh I wanna own a library :D !! [ well see I have such high hopes LOL ]
My boyfriend hates reading :D! but is alright with me reading... and sometimes... lets me buy books with his money LOL!

so we have lot in common ;)

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top