- Fizzy Thoughts: The Memorist

The Memorist

Thursday, November 06, 2008


The Memorist
M.J. Rose
2008
453 pages

This book is the follow-up to The Reincarnationist, although personally, I don’t think it’s necessary to have read the one before the other. But if you’d like to read The Reincarnationist you can download the book for free here. Yes, I said free. Cool, huh?

The Memorist is about memory, and reincarnation, and what some people will do to both forget and remember. At the heart of the story is Meer Logan, a young woman who was plagued by vague memories and music throughout her childhood. Meer thought she had the memories under control. But they've come back. At the same time, Meer caves to her father's request to travel to Austria to look at an old box, one she has never seen but compulsively drew as a child. So off Meer goes to Vienna, where she is quickly embroiled in all sorts of happenings. Also in Austria are Malachai Samuels (from The Reincarnationist), musician Sebastian Otto, FBI agent Julian Glass, an Israeli journalist by the name of David Yalom, a security team, the secretive Memorist Society, and various other characters. Everyone has their own agenda, but what is driving almost everyone is the search for an old flute, and a melody that will call up memories of past lives.

Okay, so that's a lame description. You can read better summaries here and here.

If you've read The Reincarnationist, then The Memorist will be both new and familiar ground. The basis of both stories is the search for an ancient artifact that will uncover the mysteries of reincarnation and memories. Both books involve arcane societies and interweave a present day quest with the stories of those who have gone before. I will confess to liking the The Reincarnationist's past story better than the past story in The Memorist, even if it did involve Beethoven...however, I liked the present day story of The Memorist better than the present story in The Reincarnationist...if that makes any sense. Still, both books are fast-paced, entertaining reads with mystical components.

Tune in tomorrow when I'll be a stop on TLC Book Tours for The Memorist. M.J. Rose herself might just pop in to say a few words.

*************************************************

You can check out the other tour stops for The Memorist here:

Monday, October 27th: Fantasy Book Critic
Tuesday, October 28th: The Compulsive Reader
Wednesday, October 29th: The Book Bitch
Tuesday, November 4th: Bloody Hell!
Friday, November 7th: Fizzy Thoughts
Monday, November 10th: Devourer of Books
Tuesday, November 11th: Bloggin’ ‘Bout Books
Wednesday, November 12th: Bookstack
Thursday, November 13th: The Inside Cover
Monday, November 17th: Booking Mama
Tuesday, November 18th: Books I Done Read
Wednesday, November 19th: Diary of an Eccentric
Thursday, November 20th: MommyPie
Friday, November 31st: Frequency of Silence

6 comment(s):

bermudaonion said...

That book sounds fascinating. Thanks for the review.

raych said...

I skimmed your review! I am a review-skimmer! Obvs I am going to read this, and then I will come back and READ your review.

Chris said...

Now this sounds like something that I'd really like! I just put The Reincarnationist on my wishlist. I love the cover to this one...it's fantastic!

bethany said...

It sounds like a fun tour!!! I'll be by tomorrow.

chartroose said...

I'm going to have to read "The Reincarnationist" too. Someday, when I can clone myself, perhaps.

Dar said...

This book sounds so good. I've been seeing it around quite a bit and I've always been interested in reincarnation. Looks like another one for the list.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top