- Fizzy Thoughts: Presents

Presents

Thursday, November 06, 2008


So, it’s Deb's birthday today. (Please, no applause.) But it’s inspiring today’s question–

What, if any, memorable or special book have you ever gotten as a present? Birthday or otherwise. What made it so notable? The person who gave it? The book itself? The “gift aura?”


Hamburger is not a book person, and despite many a book being placed on Christmas lists over the past 16 years, he has yet to buy me one...even though he's the one who asks for the Christmas list in the first place. However, last year he finally heard me when I said there was nothing wrong with gift cards as presents...in fact, I love gift cards. So I got a Barnes and Noble gift card instead of a pair of slippers. Trust me, it was very memorable and special.

12 comment(s):

Sunny said...

Oh this cracks me up! I can relate. My husband is not a reader (the horror!!) either and I'm not so sure if he's ever stepped inside of a B&N. No book gifts from him either.

I can see how the gift card was very special!

Ti said...

I don't get books as gift. I have been told that I am too choosy and picky so I get gift cards instead. I don't think I am too choosy or picky.

I laughed at the comment about Hamburger. I could write a list a mile long of the books I want but since my husband does not get excited about books, he feels that they are not gifts. Period.

Stephanie said...

My husband is the very same way. The only book he EVER bought me was a book on a Rock Star (that he wanted!) It had pictures. I'm sure that's the only reason he wanted it too!

bethany said...

haha! I bet. Slippers are overrated :) I wouldn't mind a pair this year though.

Veens said...

now i really realyl think that gift cards are the gifts that man created for us :D

slippers - hmm! in my current situation i would love it if he gifts me a bag :D

anne said...

Ooo, book store gift cards...I drool in envy!

anne said...

Ooo, book store gift cards...I drool in envy!

Smilingsal said...

I have enjoyed strutting into a book store with a $50 gift card and scooping up a bunch of books from the mark down table. Happy Booking Through Thursday. I'm giving away a couple of books. See my sidebar if you're interested.
http://bookcritiques.blogspot.com/

Yan said...

I like the cover of this book a lot actually =)

Scobberlotcher said...

So many comments today have been about how we bookies want gift cards and don't get them. Hmmmm. How to let them know? It's a book PLUS time in a bookstore and then, maybe a beverage. Ahemm....is there a better present?

Book Zombie (Joanne) said...

My hubs tries very hard to buy the perfect books for me.

Slippers on the other hand, he won't even let me look at - he insists that the super fuzzy ones I lust after are no better than the 5 or 6 not so fuzzy ones I already own (despite them looking like dead rats since my dogs like to eat them)

bkclubcare said...

My poor motherInLaw tries to buy me books as presents but she trips up everytime either getting a book I've already read or something horribly boring - like an outdated computer book from a bargain bin. Gift cards are the way to go.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top