- Fizzy Thoughts: Sunday Salon - tears and reincarnation

Sunday Salon - tears and reincarnation

Sunday, November 09, 2008

This past week I read The Art of Racing in the Rain and Coraline. Both were excellent reads, but I haven't had a chance to post about them yet. Racing in the Rain made my cry. A lot. But that was okay. I read it right before I turned on the tv to watch the election results, which also made me cry (in a good way!), so I had quite the sob-fest that evening.

Coraline didn't make me cry, but it did make my co-worker shudder. No, I wasn't reading at work. I was out of town for a training, and my co-worker was also my travel companion for the week. I flashed the sketch of the other mother's hand at her...and got a wonderful grimace in response.

I haven't decided on my next read, but I did get to go see the movie version of The Secret Life of Bees. It's been so long since I read the book I can't compare the two, but I did love the movie... despite the fact that it was a tear-jerker. It was a teary week all around.

Sometime around noon today I'll be holding a drawing to giveaway copies of M.J. Rose's books The Reincarnationist and The Memorist. Go join in the reincarnation discussion here and you too can have a chance at winning. Good luck!

And happy reading!

9 comment(s):

naida said...

I really enjoyed Coraline, it was creepy and wonderful all at once.
enjoy your Sunday.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

debnance said...

I should try Rain. I requested it from the library, but it arrived at a bad time. I should request it again. I love a good cry.

Ladytink_534 said...

There are a couple of Neil Gaiman's books that I really want to read but haven't gotten around to doing so. Coraline is at the top of the list.

Dar said...

My goodness you did have a teary week didn't you. I'm looking forward to your reviews of both Rain and Coraline-especially Coraline.

softdrink said...

Hi Naida - thanks for stopping by!

Deb - oh, then you must read it!

Tink - I have Anansi Boys on a shelf...it's been waiting a long time, but since I've been in a Gaiman mood lately, it should get read fairly soon.

Dar - *sniff* *sniff* ;-)
The reviews will be up later this week!

Icedream said...

I loved both books too. Coraline was wonderfully creepy, I can't wait to read The Graveyard Book. The Art of Racing in the Rain made me bawl like a baby too but thankfully it was touching enough to make it bearable.

Bogsider said...

Interesting post. I love creepy books so maybe I should look into some of the titles you mention here :o)

Louise

bermudaonion said...

I loved The Secret Life of Bees movie, too. It doesn't have a very good rating on IMDB, so I've decided only men vote on that.

softdrink said...

Icedream - the humor in Racing in the Rain is what saved it for me.

Louise - We Have Always Lived in the Castle is a fantastic book, too!

Kathy - ptthpt on them. It's a great movie!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top