- Fizzy Thoughts: Sunday Salon

Sunday Salon

Sunday, November 02, 2008



When I first saved the above Sunday Salon badge to a folder on my desktop I typed in its name as Sunday Saloon. It took weeks before I noticed the typo. I decided to leave it, because now it makes me laugh every time I upload the picture.

So. Long time no see (for the Sunday Salon at least). My weekends have been filled with other bookish pursuits lately, but I thought I would post this week in order to give myself a chance to organize my book-related thoughts for the upcoming week/month.


This morning I read The Memorist, M.J. Rose's latest, since I'm participating in a TLC Book Tour for the book. Look for my review this Thursday, and my tour stop post on Friday. There might even be an opportunity to win a copy of the book.

Next Monday I'm up again for TLC, this time for the wonderful Jennie Shortridge and her book Love and Biology at the Center of the Universe. If you ever have the chance to meet Jennie, take it. She's funny and exuberant and you'll want to run out and buy her books.

I'm currently reading The Art of Racing in the Rain. (By the way, what I just said about Jennie applies to Garth, too.) I'm only 19 pages into it, but it's made me chuckle quite a few times. I'm not a dog person, but I'm already in love with Enzo. Since I will be out of town (again!) for work this week, I plan on taking this book, plus a few others with me (The Likeness? Finding Nouf? Coraline? decisions, decisions...).

Speaking of The Likeness...after the disappointment that was the end of In the Woods, I wasn't planning on reading any more Tana French. However, Trish pretty much convinced me I should read this one. I believe there was mention of a third book and the possibility that there might be resolution after all. Then she sent the book to me. Way to sucker me in, Trish.

Also, last week I read Who By Fire, a wonderful first novel by Diana Spechler. You'll have to wait awhile for the review, because Diana herself will be posting on my blog later this month. I'm totally excited about this, because I loved her book and I plan to gush.

Finally, I'd like to say goodbye to Daylight Saving Time. As far as I'm concerned, you could stay away year round, but I realize I'm in the minority. However, for those of us who go to bed early and get up early, life is much better when it actually gets dark at a reasonable time. Reasonable being 6pm, because hello? Not all of us want to play in the street until 9pm.

4 comment(s):

Amy said...

I've been eyeing Who By Fire for awhile now...look forward to your gushing! :)

bkclubcare said...

These are the cool books to be reading right now! You're so cool.

Wendy said...

Hmmm, your TBR pile looks amazingly like mine! *laughs* I have yet to read In the Woods, but that did not stop me from buying the sequel. Now I HAVE to sit down and read them...sooner rather than later :) Glad to hear you are enjoying The Art of Racing in the Rain, too.

Dar said...

Wow, you're going to have a busy blog in the next while. I've got Who By Fire coming to read and I can't wait. I look forward to seeing what she'll have to say.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top