- Fizzy Thoughts: Teaser Tuesday (and other stuff)

Teaser Tuesday (and other stuff)

Tuesday, November 11, 2008


  • Grab your current read.
  • Let the book fall open to a random page.
  • Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
  • You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given!
  • Please avoid spoilers!
My teaser, from You Shall Know Our Velocity!, by Dave Eggers:
"







"

Yes, that's right. It's blank. Because I opened up to a random page, and there was nothing there! And no, it's not the blankness of between chapters, because this book has no chapters. I was going to find another teaser, but this is an odd book, and nothing quite stood on its own, so I'm staying with the blank pages. It really is quite appropriate.

************************************************
In other news (and I use that term loosely):
Tomorrow I leave for Sacramento and my last work-related trip of the year. Hallelujah. I’ll be attending a conference on Structured Decision Making. Ummm…un-hallelujah on that.

This trip will be the fourth work thing I’ve had to travel to in the past two months. I am so, so tired of being away from home, and of driving north on either I-5 or Highway 101. I also have my doubts that I’ll have free internet access at this hotel, which will be a tragedy of epic proportions. Away from home and cut off from civilization. I should probably pack extra books.

Okay, enough of the pity party.
I do have two reviews scheduled to post while I’m away. The Art of Racing in the Rain will be up tomorrow. And Coraline should post on Friday. That is if I ever write the actual post.

Speaking of Friday, if I don’t post the winner of the book closet giveaway, look for it Saturday morning. Coraline has been added to the closet (sorry Coraline, I expect you’re not much of a fan of small dark places) and I’d imagine she’d love you forever if you saved her from the darkness.

And speaking of darkness, on Sunday I finally looked up the short story "The Lottery" and re-read it. (Because after reading We Have Always Lived in the Castle I wanted more Shirley Jackson.) Yikes! I remembered what it was about, but still. How did Jackson come up with this stuff? And what does it say about me that I remember that short story but not A Separate Peace, which I read the same year in high school?

9 comment(s):

chartroose said...

Have a good trip. It sounds like SO much fun. I know I'd be nodding off since nearly all my decisions are unstructured (as they should be).

I still haven't mailed your little Cthulhu. He wants to stay with me because he likes me better!

Later, Gator!

Dawn said...

Years ago (8?) our book group read *A Heartbreaking Work ...*. Dave Eggers is definitely an acquired taste. What do you think of this book - thumbs up or down?

Good luck with the travelling; yes, pack extra books!

Dar said...

lol-I thought there was something wrong with my computer for a minute when your quote was blank.

Sorry you have to go away again. That has been a lot in the last little bit. I don't like being away from home that much-I'm a big home body.

softdrink said...

chartroose - are we going to have to work out a custody agreement?

Dawn - so far, thumbs up. But then, I tend to like things that are a little different.

Dar - I love to travel...but not for work!

Marg said...

Great teaser! LOL!!

The Bumbles said...

I thought the same thing as Dar - that your page hadn't uploaded completely. I laughed when I read the rest of your post.

Thanks for visiting - "slogging" through 3 Cups of Tea is an appropriate way to describe it - it is slow going, but the topic keeps me slogging along.

bkclubcare said...

I'm not surprised abt the blank page... and I don't know what to think about your remembering The Lottery and not A Separate Peace. Have as much fun as you can muster on your trips (and I would LOVE to rescue Coraline if I win!)

Veens said...

I was going on trying to select the whole part and see if it is the color of the quote or something :D

and then i read the rest :-)

Have a good trip !!
- and I came to tell u - i GOT MY BOOKMARK.. thanks a LOT for the b'ful card and bookmark.

I have left u a link in one of my prev comments do check it out!

Ladytink_534 said...

The Lottery creeped me out when I read it in high school... or was that middle school?

Have fun!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top