- Fizzy Thoughts: Weekly Geeks on the eve of the election

Weekly Geeks on the eve of the election

Monday, November 03, 2008


For this week, Dewey has given us:

Exceptionally simple instructions!

1. Browse through the previous Weekly Geeks posts.
2. Decide what you’d like to repeat.
3. Do it!
4. When you finish, come sign the Mr Linky with the url to your specific post, not just your general blog url.
5. Don’t forget to check out what other Weekly Geeks chose.

My selection isn't a repeat, because I joined Weekly Geeks fairly late in the game. But it's one that I like and since tomorrow is election day, I feel it's timely. I chose Weekly Geeks #4:

Choose a political or social issue that matters to you. Find several books addressing that issue; they don’t have to books you’ve read, just books you might like to read. Using images (of the book covers or whatever you feel illustrates your topic) present these books in your blog.

**************************************************************

Here in California one of the propositions on the ballot is Proposition 8. If passed, Proposition 8 will change our state constitution to eliminate the right of same-sex couples to marry in California. A new section would be added stating only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California.

Since I very rarely get political, I'm going to make up for lost time and say that I think this is the most asinine proposition California has placed on the ballot. Not only do I believe it's discriminatory, but the language is confusing (a no vote means you support same-sex marriage). Also, the "Yes on Prop 8" television ads drive me batty. Evidently, if we allow same sex marriage in California we are paving the way for books like this to be taught in public schools:



Personally, I think these books would be a wonderful addition to any curricula. However, we aren't voting about books. We're voting about rights. I could go on and on about why I voted NO (too bad "hell no" wasn't an option on my absentee ballot), but I'll just direct you to Jerry's blog post about this issue. Jerry is Canadian, but he was recently here in California, and as a result he just posted a fabulous essay on this topic. Jerry really did a fantastic job of explaining how I feel about this topic, so I would encourage you to read his post.

If this proposition passes, I will scream in frustration, consider the feasibility of a move to Canada (where all the rational people live) and then run out and buy these books. Then I'll think about who I should mail them to.

Okay, I'm done hijacking Weekly Geeks to post about my political views. Tomorrow I will return to my usual inanity (although you might hear a scream or two depending on the election results).

9 comment(s):

beastmomma said...

I will be screaming as well, depending on the election results.

girasoli said...

I cannot for the life of me understand why people don't just butt out of other people's personal lives. They say they want less government...EXCEPT when it comes to their so called "religious issues". I think you should mail out the books even if prop 8 does not pass!

bkclubcare said...

Here in Mass, I get to vote today to legalize pot! Well, actually the law only lessons the criminal consequences for first offense, I think, but - very exciting stuff.

Good Geek Post! You tell 'em.

Ali said...

Nice post, and a couple of new books for me, too! We're watching for the results of your election up here in Oregon, with fingers crossed that people will support love with their no vote.

raych said...

People are ragingly anti-gay up here too. MY question to them is, if you're anti-people-being-gay, who the HELL do you think you're helping by not letting them get legally married? Are you making them any less gay? Is being gay the sin, or just being gay AND getting some tax breaks and some official recognition of your love? The hell, other Christians? STFU, you are making me look bad.

Eva said...

I completely agee!!! I wish I was Californian so I could vote on this one. On the other hand, the Colorado ballot had some of the craziest propositions I've ever seen-it was quite satisfying to vote against those.

Dawn said...

well said! Glad we'll be keeping you in the US a bit longer ...

you can still stock up on those books for gifts :)

valentina said...

You're damn right. I was head over heels after Obama's election but was very frustrated about Prop 8!
But I still believe there is a chance some people might have been confused and voted yes when they meant no. Or maybe it's just me being over optimistic about people.I still don't understand why someone should have problems with same sex marriages. It's not like we're asking to renounce THEIR right to marry...and yet, they feel threatened for some reason. It's just a matter of recognising some human rights. But I guess we still have a long way to go on this one..

Amy said...

I'm going to be the dissenter! But not because I think that gay couples should have different rights (I think everyone should have the same rights), but because I think what most people don't realize is this is a battle of sexual liberty vs. religious liberty and the freedom to live according to conscience.

I think we all need to stop talking about marriage (how marriage was ever a matter of state baffles me anyway) and just switch to civil unions. Any couple can have a civil union with equal rights. If you want a spiritual ceremony than find a church willing to marry you.

It's a more complicated issue than either side allows and if we want our country to remain as free as possible for ALL, I think it's the only way to go.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top