- Fizzy Thoughts: Weekly Geeks

Weekly Geeks

Saturday, November 08, 2008



This week’s Weekly Geek theme is: fun facts about authors.

How to:

1. Choose a writer you like.
2. Using resources such as Wikipedia, the author’s website, whatever you can find, make a list of interesting facts about the author.
3. Post your fun facts list in your blog, maybe with a photo of the writer, a collage of his or her books, whatever you want.
4. Come sign the Mr Linky below with the url to your fun facts post.
5. As you run into (or deliberately seek out) other Weekly Geeks’ lists, add links to your post for authors you like or authors you think your readers are interested in.


***********************************************************


Years ago I read Good Omens and American Gods and Stardust.

American Gods remains one my all time favorite books. However, since that initial foray into Gaiman-land, I hadn't picked up another one of his books. Until last month and The Graveyard Book. Followed quickly by Coraline.

So since I've been on a bit of a Gaiman kick lately, I decided to be a Gaiman geek. Here a few interesting facts about Neil Gaiman and his work:

  • Neil Gaiman lives in an Addams Family house, with a "big pointy tower and wrap-around porch." He seems a bit disappointed that the trick or treaters don't stop at his house.
  • Coraline the movie will be in theaters in February. The house in the Coraline movie bears a startling resemblance to the house in The Secret Life of Bees and Gaiman's own house.
  • Neil Gaiman has a blog.
  • His parents would frisk him before family events to make sure he didn't have a book stashed in a pocket.
  • Hey Chartroose, check it out...Lovecraft inspires Gaiman, too.
  • Neil Gaiman believes his books have genders.
  • His last name is pronounced Gay-men. You can here him talk about it here.
  • His cat's name is Fred.
  • Neil Gaiman's voice is perfectly suited for reading his own books. Check it out.
  • He's a beekeeper:

  • He says the first book he ordered online was from Powell's. It was a book on grammar.
  • Last year he wrote a pep talk for NaNoWriMo.
  • He has also contributed to National Doodle Day.


*******************************************

More interesting author facts by other Weekly Geeks:

8 comment(s):

Maree said...

I thought of doing Neil Gaiman too _ I love him in a stalkerish/geek girl kind of a way. The Graveyard Book is my favourite book of the year, and I keep trying to make my husband read it.

Ali said...

I just put a hold on The Graveyard Book at the library for my son last week. Thanks for the fun trivia!

Marg said...

Love the one about being frisked before leaving the house!

Great choice of author.

naida said...

fun post! how cool that he is a beekeeper.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Bogsider said...

I don't know Neil Gaiman, so it was educating to learn something new. Also, I checked your profile and saw that you are from Morro Bay. I visited you town in May last year when I was on a Highway One roadtrip with my family! We had much fun on the beach collecting shells, but of course it was way too cold to swim :-)

Melody said...

Great choice! He's one of my favourite authors too! :)

Chris said...

I just discovered Neil Gaiman. He's a wonderful writer. Great post!

bkclubcare said...

I'll admit that I had never heard of this guy before book blogging - and do you notice on bookmooch that no matter WHAT you search for, it always suggests 'like' options that always lists Gaiman?! he must be the most searched term there...

I just yesterday asked a Borders worker for help looking for graphic novels (I thought Corline was!??! where did I get that impression? we couldn't find it) anyway, he asked me how to spell Gaiman and I lost all respect for him as a bookstore worker... sigh, I'm such a strange book snob these days - and I've only read one of his books!

sorry, long comment (do I get extra credit?)

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top