- Fizzy Thoughts: Weekly Geeks

Weekly Geeks

Sunday, November 16, 2008


This week we're making our own books-based Weekly Geeks Gift Giving Guide:

1. Think about the books that you and people in your life love. It’s best to use more obscure books, because we’ve all heard plenty about the more popular ones.
2. Come up with categories, based on relationship, personality, or whatever else you like. I think this is easier to do once you have your books in mind; you can then just assign categories to those books.
3. Post your own gift giving guide! Add short blurbs about the books, just enough so that your readers can determine if it’d be a good gift for people on their list. Don’t forget to come back and sign Mr Linky.
4. Visit other Weekly Geeks, and if you like their guides, maybe add links to the bottom of your own.

***************************************

The women in my family are the readers. The men, not so much. Although that probably has something to do with the fact that there are more women in the family. At least on my dad's side. On my mom's side, my uncle is a reader, but that's about it. So this is a sort-of true, sort-of hypothetical list.

A book for musical brothers: Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain
I saw this book at Borders a few weeks ago and thought "this would be perfect for my brother! If only he read books..."

A book for uncles with the travel bug: The Happy Isles of Oceania, by Paul Theroux

Every year I get a book written by a travel writer for my uncle. This year I chose The Happy Isles of Oceania...because almost 50 years ago he and my aunt packed everything up and moved to Hawaii for a year.

The book for moms who like to cook: Dolce Italiano

Okay, so I have ulterior motives with this one. My mom is an excellent cook, so this just gives her more recipes to try out.

A book for boyfriends who love motorcycles: Hell's Angels, Hunter S. Thompson

I've even read this one. But Hamburger will never read it. Oh well.

The book for quirky female cousins: The Roaches Have No King


Actually, my cousins are the one who recommended this book. It remains one of the weirdest books I've ever read. Which probably says something about our family.

And for the in-laws: Croatia

I love the Eyewitness Guides because they have gorgeous photos. But they weigh a ton, so they're not the best books to take on a trip. But they sure are fun to look at beforehand. And we just might be going to Croatia in 2010.

13 comment(s):

Icedream said...

Ok, so I had to look up The Roaches Have No King because I am a sucker for a catchy title. Since you put it on your Holiday list I'm assuming it was also pretty good. I will have to be on the look out for a copy - no surprise my library doesn't carry it. :D

Bogsider said...

Great list - with yet a row of books and authors I haven't previously heard about. Gave me some good ideas. And both the Italian cook book and the Hells Angels book look like something I would enjoy myself. I also like travel-books and have a large collection myself, also for countries where I have never been. Just like to browse through them and dream!

Bogsider said...

PS. Croatia is supposed to be absolutely wonderful and many people from Denmark go there every year for their summer vacation. Haven't been there myself though.

Maree said...

Very quirky titles!
Now I need to go and find some of those Eyewitness guides for myself; do a spot of armchair travelling. :)

gautami tripathy said...

That is some varied lising! Gonna check a couple!

Here is my WG #25 post

bkclubcare said...

I'm intrigued by the Roaches book.

Veens said...

ahh! I would think they are all kinda weird books :D esp the one that the cousin's recommended! :)

But that's exactly why I will be checking them out!

chartroose said...

That's it--I'm going to have to try "The Roaches Have No King" since you've mentioned it several times. On the TBR list it goes!

Ali said...

That Musicophilia book looks fascinating!

softdrink said...

Icedream, Care, Veens and Chartroose - fair warning...it's a weird book!

Lou - I love for travel books for that very reason! It's so much fun to dream of places to go.

Maree - enjoy!

gautami - lol...yup, there's a bunch of odd stuff there!

Ali - It did look interesting...unfortunately, I couldn't think of anyone to buy it for!

girasoli said...

this is a really cool post! I love book recommendations (even quirky ones)!! I am so amazed at how many books you read!!

dawn said...

Those Eyewitness books are great, they're the books I look for when I'm planning (or just dreaming about) a trip.

We have good friends from Croatia (she from Zagreb, he from one of the islands). They go back every winter (why not summer?) ... so much to do in the city.

The Daily Rant said...

I love the Eyewitness Guides too, but I agree with you about the weight of the book. I ALWAYS sit in the bookstore for hours looking at guidebooks before I go anywhere.

And Croatia? Cool. It's on my list of places to visit. Heard only great things about it!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top