- Fizzy Thoughts: You know you're getting old(er) when...

You know you're getting old(er) when...

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I went to the eye doctor yesterday. Since my regular eye doctor was on vacation, I saw the old guy. My regular doctor is 31 (although she looks 17) and the old guy really isn't that old. He's 59. Why do I know the ages of my eye doctors? Because the doctor told me. He said since he's older, he doesn't sugarcoat the diagnosis. So he laughed about my age (as in, "oooh, I see you're 39") and then he told me I needed reading glasses. Evidently, I'm a few years ahead of schedule.


This really isn't that traumatic, because I already wear glasses. Actually, I wear contacts. Well, one of them. Only, it seems I now need a whole 'nother type of glasses.


See (see? get it? hahahahaha...okay, bad pun), it's like this. I have staphyloma in one eye, which in layman's terms means there is a bulge in the back of my eyeball and I can't see jack shit. Since I was born that way it's no biggie. But in my good eye, I'm near-sighted. I've alternated between wearing glasses and one contact for most of my life. I love, love, love my contact lens because I also love to wear sunglasses, and who wants to be off with the glasses, on with the sunglasses every time you step outside?


Except now it seems I'm going to be doing the on with the reading glasses, off with the reading glasses, on with the I need help with my distance vision glasses, off with the I need help with my distance vision glasses, on with the prescription sunglasses, repeat routine.


To be fair, the doctor did give me the option of bifocals...but he said they're hard to get used to, and if I wasn't opposed to two pairs of glasses, he suggested starting there. And I still get to wear my contacts when I won't be around the computer or a book (which translates to once in a blue moon). I think he's conspiring to get me out of the contacts, because he admitted he doesn't like us monocular (I learned a new word today) people wearing contacts. Which I can totally understand...I just get tired of wearing glasses.


So once the new glasses arrive, I will own 5 pairs of glasses. The new reading glasses, the new prescription sunglasses, the old prescription sunglasses that I really don't like, the older pair of distance vision glasses that I currently wear if I'm not wearing the contact, and the newer pair of distance vision glasses that I got last year but don't really like so I never wear them. And then there are the miscellaneous regular sunglasses that I have.


I think I need a bigger purse.

17 comment(s):

Julie P. said...

I am 39 and can totally tell that my eyes are going. I picked up a cute of those really cute reading glass and keep them with me. So far, I've only used them once to read the serial number on the back of the t.v., but I'm so depressed about it. I keep telling myself that it's not that I'm getting old (HA HA), it's just that I read a lot and I have used my eyes much more than the average person!!! :)

bermudaonion said...

Wow! I think I'm going to need bifocals or something soon. I need glasses for distance, but can't see close up with them on. Without my glasses I can see close up just fine. I go to the eye doctor the first of next year. Ugh.

Ti said...

I put off going to the eye doctor for the longest time because I knew he was going to tell me it was time for bifocals. As it turned out though, my eyes were so bad to begin with that with age, they are actually getting better. The reason why I had to hold my book at arm's length was because my current prescription was too strong.

I am still with glasses but a lesser prescription. I do the whole sunglass/eyeglass thing. I hate it!

bkclubcare said...

Yes, this has to be the most annoying thing about getting old. I do love my fun reading glasses that are also sunglasses, tho. I will need to go get better real (prescrips) next year (when the flex spending budget is restored - yea insurance!)

PS Coraline just arrived! thx

Bookfool said...

Yeah, I need to go to the eye doctor. I think I'm on the verge, here -- holding books farther and farther away. I wear glasses, though. I'm on with the glasses, off with the glasses, every time I go outside. Doesn't bother me a bit. What *does* bother me is that now I have to take a pair of non-prescription sunglasses with me, when I know I'm going to be sitting in the car, reading. I hate that. Some days, I have to carry three pairs of glasses -- the cheap sunglasses, Rx sunglasses and regular (in case I'm out after dark). Ugh.

Brad'll Do It said...

When I got a vision plan at my last employer, I got some glasses, as I've been "of an age" for a while. I received the glasses about 2-3 days before a 3-week trip to Italy. Of course, I left the new pair in the seatback pocket of the seat in front of me on the plane, and they wouldn't let me get back on to get them! I followed up with their lost and found, and... nuthin'.

So, I've been using "cheaters" ever since. I am VERY hard on glasses, as I have a very cool soft-sided glass case, and they tend to bend out of shape when they're in my pocket. I am averaging a new pair pair of glasses every 2-3 weeks.

So (again), you can see why I'm reluctant to get a "good pair," 'cause one'll never be enough, and then I'll be $400 when I scrunch both new pairs of glasses.

And why are glasses called a "pair"?

chartroose said...

I also have some major trouble with my eyes, Jill, and it's my own damn fault. (I took too much of an illegal substance and it caused my optic nerves to atrophy). I do the bifocals/distance glasses thing too.

Why can't the whole losing one's vision thing happen to illiterate idiots instead of readers like us?

Also, can staphyloma be surgically corrected?

Dar said...

I feel your pain girl. My eyes are such a pain in the butt for me-I have progressive myopia which for me essentially means without my glasses I'm blind; mine started in my early twenties though. I can make out blurs but that's about it. I can't wear contacts because my eyes are too dry and hurt from them. Bifocals I'm sure are in my near future but for now I'll hold off. It's frustrating because I don't have good distance even with my glasses and now it's hard sometimes to read and yet I can't take them off because even close up the words will go blurry. One of my biggest fears is not being able to read one day. Man it sucks getting old!!!

softdrink said...

Oh excellent...I'm so glad everyone else is getting old and blind, too. ;-)

And chartroose...nope...it's a birth defect. I have something ridiculous, like 2/200 vision in that eye.

Lexi said...

I used to wear contacts, but I don't have eye insurance, so it got kind of expensive to replace them every six months. Now I have a funky new pair of glasses that I LOVE. Although I feel you on the sunglasses issue. I don't have prescription ones, so I kind of just suffer.

beastmomma said...

You can also get some really cute cases for your glasses.

jdeq said...

oh oh - it is all those years of reading bad books that are coming back to haunt you!

Joanne said...

I've been wearing glasses since I was about 12. But now I find my eye exams are getting closer and closer together - I'm gonna be wearing coke bottles soon! Right after getting a new prescription I feel great though, I hate when my vision isn't sharp. But I do wish I could try contacts, I have astigmatism and the special contacts for that are much more expensive than my glasses.

Melanie said...

I got biofcals a couple of years ago - on my 40th birthday no less. They aren't so bad. I swear by clip on sunglasses, they take away all that constant switching of glasses.

softdrink said...

Jerry - yes, let's blame it on the bad books!

Veens said...

hahaha! I m 25 and I have glasses LOL! :D So I am getting old and getting glasses :)

Ladytink_534 said...

Purse?! Sounds like you need one of those beach bag things! Wow that's a lot of glasses.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top