- Fizzy Thoughts: 5 for Favorites

5 for Favorites

Thursday, December 04, 2008


1. Do you have a favorite author?
I'm fickle, so I change favorite authors depending on my mood. But Christopher Moore is always a good answer to this question. He always makes me laugh, and then I wonder how he comes up with the stuff he does. My favorite Moore books are Island of the Sequined Love Nun, because he does a better job of explaining cargo cults than any of my anthropology professors ever did; The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove, which is set in a fictional version of the area I live in (Pine Cove = Cambria, California, if you're wondering); and Lamb, which is just sheer genius.

Not quite. I haven't read either A Dirty Job or You Suck yet, although I do have You Suck.

3. Did you LIKE everything?

No. I never did mange to finish Coyote Blue. And I tried twice.

4. How about a least favorite author?

Dario Castagno.

5. An author you wanted to like, but didn’t?

Salman Rushdie and Isabel Allende. Too many long sentences and not enough dialogue. They both exhausted me.

12 comment(s):

Smilingsal said...

You can change your mind. Please visit to see my answers.

Beth F said...

I did Isabel Allende in audio and loved both books I listened to. I had trouble approaching her in print.

lilly said...

I absolutely love Christopher Moore. When I read it I better make sure I am alone, otherwise I truly look like a nutcase, laughing so loudly that even my daughter (9) gets annoyed.

Scobberlotcher said...

Very interesting thoughts. Not too fizzy.

Ali said...

Did you read Fluke? I loved it even more than Lamb, and that's saying a lot.

lisamm said...

My neighbor read Lamb and was trying to force it on everybody at book club last month! Someone finally took it and now she's raving about it too. The idea of it sounded kinda dumb to me, but if YOU like it, I might take a second look :-)

J.S. Peyton said...

I've never read any Moore, although I have been frequently tempted. I've almost bought "Lamb" so many time its ridiculous. One of these days, I'm going to actually buy it.

I've only read one Allende book - "Zorro" - and I had the exact same problem: too much exposition, not enough dialogue. I kept thinking, Whatever happened to the old adage ' show, don't tell?' I've never read any Rushdie, although I imagine I will one of these days...

Veens said...

hmmm!! :-)
I also change my fav author ;)

and I got THE BOOK you SENT ME!!!!

YESSSSSS!
I WAS SO SO SO SURPRISED! ok sorry for the CAPS [ but i m so EXCited ;) ]
and i write in caps when i am super excited :)
visit my blog plsss! ;)

THANKS a LOT! :D

Veens said...

http://test-veens.blogspot.com/2008/12/please-see-this-i-cant-tell-you-what.html

the link ;)

raych said...

I read 'Zorro' by Allende and it nearly killed me. Then I read 'Bella Luna' because of that whole Read All the New Classics thing I'm doing, and it was good but forgetable. I feel like I should like Rushdie. Everything in me says that THIS is an author I should be into, all subversive and brainy, but I don't. I can't. I've tried so hard, and I just...

Read and loved 'The Stupidest Angel' and 'A Dirty Job,' though. Been thinking about picking up 'Lamb.'

jessi said...

I love Lamb and A Dirty Job! I've only read one Rushdie book - Haroun and the Sea of Stories - but I really liked it. I haven't tried any Allende yet, and I've never even heard of Dario Castagno, but I am curious after reading your reaction. :)

lilly said...

I loved 'Practical Demonkeeping'. It made me laugh till I cried, and I do not laugh almost at all.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top