- Fizzy Thoughts: Because I have nothing better to do

Because I have nothing better to do

Monday, December 29, 2008

You all are so clever. I mentioned my new (but yet-to-be-delivered) green Dell and it's need for a name, and I'm amazed at all the comments.

First, I need to answer Dawn's question about our cars. We have three vehicles (not counting Hamburger's motorcycles) and only one has a name. Gunther. Surf vans aside, we generally don't name inanimate objects, but there's just something about a green laptop that cries out for a name.

Terri started it all off by mentioning Sweat Pea, which I thought was adorable. But I tend to think of computers as male (sorry, guys), so Sweat Pea is a little too precious for something that I will occasionally want to bop on the head. Or monitor.

A couple of you suggested Envy, which is way clever. But I'm not sure I can name my computer after a deadly sin.

Ti came up with Gherkin, which I agree is appropriate. But there's this building in London that is nicknamed the Gherkin:

And yes, it has other nicknames, too. But we won't go here.

So. No Gherkin. But it did make me think of another name. And girasoli evidently had the exact same idea! I think Dill the Dell has a certain ring to it. Plus, there's the whole To Kill a Mockingbird reference.



But then Lisa (who I suspect was kinda hungry, since most of her suggestions related to food) came up with Olive. And since I have a boy computer I turned it into Oliver. Which brings to mind Oliver Twist.

And now I can't decide. I was going to be fancy and make a poll for this post, but I can't get it to work. So I had to stick the poll in the sidebar. Do me a favor and go vote!

Edited to add: You may notice there are now two polls. That's because some people like Kermit. And I had to add two names to make it a poll, so if you can figure out why I chose Mike, I'll give you your pick of a book from the (almost empty) book closet.

8 comment(s):

HeatherBabe said...

I'm sorry I'm the only person that took your poll. And I don't even know you! Good luck with Oliver.

Joanne said...

Hmm I was really into your original thought of Kermit. But from the poll I prefer Dill.

Eva said...

I like Dill! Although not "Dill the Dell"...that's a leetle too much.

Fly Me to the Moon came into today-thanks so much! Your book closet and I are way too close. ;) I'm thinking about stealing the idea from you for next year, since I did some major bookshelf culling. Would that be ok?

beastmomma said...

I voted in both polls because I would like either Oliver or Kermit. As for why you chose Mike, is it because that is the person who helped you order your computer?

bermudaonion said...

It's a dead heat!

Jo-Jo said...

Oh my goodness...the Gherkin is hillarious, but I would hate to be thinking of that when using the computer! lol

Thanks again for the book...I received it yesterday! That was quick!

Pam said...

I'm going with Oliver. I think it manages to sound humble and pretentious at the same time.

Lisa said...

Mike from Monsters, Inc?

I like Oliver.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top