- Fizzy Thoughts: Christmas intermission

Christmas intermission

Friday, December 26, 2008

Happy Boxing Day!

Really, the US needs to get on board with the Boxing Day holiday. Because working the day after Christmas is...well, I don't know what it is, but it isn't fun.

I still have another Christmas to go, though. We spent yesterday afternoon at Hamburger's mom's house. Highlights included lasagna for dinner, a Starbucks card, and Hamburger's niece calling him a nerd. Tomorrow afternoon it's my mom's house. Two days of Christmas separated by one (half) day of work...it's like today is intermission.

No books to report, although I did get a B&N gift card from Hamburger (after 17 years, the man is finally catching on). And this:




That's right. It's "the scrabble game with More Spaces, More Points and More Tiles." We're talking quadruple word score, two Q's and two Z's.

It's official...I'm a dork.

11 comment(s):

bermudaonion said...

I got a B & N gift card too. Glad you had a good day.

jessi said...

We really do need to get in on the Boxing Day love. Being a teacher, it doesn't really affect me, but it would still be nice. I'm also glad you had a good Christmas. Enjoy that Scrabble - it looks amazing! :)

Jo-Jo said...

Sometimes it does take those guys awhile. Oh well...patience is a virtue! I agree about the Boxing Day.

Chris said...

We REALLY need a boxing day here :p Though I work at a hospital so it wouldn't matter...I had to work Christmas day...I love that Scrabble game!!! I want it. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my original scrabble, but that's just cool!

Florinda said...

I'm at work on December 26 (notice I don't say "working," but I AM in the office), and would definitely be in favor of recognizing Boxing Day in the USA. Especially since it's a Friday this year...the on/off work week we've had is just silly.

I got a Borders gift card and two books from my wish list, among other things. Glad you had a good Christmas Day!

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

I'm in the dork club with you! J upgraded our original Scrabble (which was missing an S and I told him I could have it replaced, but he insisted!) with not the expanded version you have, but a "deluxe" (yet regular) version in wood with turntable, drawer for the tiles, fancy scorepad, etc. We played last night ... his first word was ALMONDS for 78 points (28 plus 50 for using all his tiles). I nearly caught up though ... 304 to 318 at the end.

I didn't get any bookstore giftcards, but that won't stop me from shopping. :) He did give me a watch I've been coveting (and I can push it and say I have to read the time, so it's reading related!)

Enjoy the new game; I'm curious how it stacks up against the original (is it more fun, or does it just take longer to play?)

cali said...

We spent Christmas Day driving up Highway 99. But it wasn't foggy and we did eventually find an open Hamburger King open in Bakersfield for a Christmas Whopper Jr. Hey, hey! Good luck at your mom's tomorrow.

Wrighty - said...

Yes, today should be a day off. We all need more time to just relax and enjoy stuff. Your Scrabble game sounds so cool! We haven't played that in a long time. When we get together with my siblings and their families we play games like Outburst and Password. It gets rowdy but lots of fun.

I wrote my letter to Santa but I was also writing a birthday letter to my son and some other sentimental things. I forgot all about sending my Santa letter to you. Duh. Oh well, it was still fun. I hope you have it again next year and maybe I'll remember it then! I've only recently discovered your blog but it's a great place to hang out. I look forward to more visits in the new year. Enjoy your Christmas get together tomorrow!

Nymeth said...

I love scrabble. What an awesome gift! Yep, I'm a dork too :P

I had to work today too..it was no fun.

Rebecca @ The Book Lady's Blog said...

The in-laws gave me Super Scrabble a few years ago, and I absolutely love it. It will change your life!

Okay, maybe it's not that extreme, but you'll love it!

Ladytink_534 said...

I have a confession....: I've never played Scrabble before. Hope you got lots of good things with your gift card!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top