- Fizzy Thoughts: Dewey's Books Reading Challenge

Dewey's Books Reading Challenge

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I said I wasn't going to do any challenges in 2009. But then Chris came up with this marvelous idea.



1. Pick one book from each of the 6 years that Dewey has archives of. You can access her archives by clicking on the archive link in the sidebar of her website. It’s a dropdown menu. For instance, you would read one book that she reviewed in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 for a total of six books.

2. The other option is to read 5 books that Dewey reviewed. These can be from any year and I’m guessing that each of us has at least 5 books on our TBR list because of Dewey!

And the rules:

1. Choose either option 1 or 2 from above.

2. Commit to read your books (either 5 or 6 depending on which option you choose) throughout 2009. The challenge will end on December 31, 2009 but we’ll go ahead and unofficially start it right away! We’ll officially start it on January 1st, 2009.

3. Check back to this page often as I’ll put up Mr. Linky’s for reviews and I’ll mention prize giveaways!

I'm going with option #2. The books I have chosen to read are:

Looking for Alaska by John Green
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett
Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Adichie

And since I've already caved and committed to one challenge, I'm toying with the idea of a few more. So much for resolutions.

7 comment(s):

Chris said...

Yay for breaking resolutions! lol...Don't worry, I do it every year :p I love your list of books so much! Looking for Alaska and The Uncommon Reader are both some of my favorite books of the year. And The Book Thief and Persepolis are on my list too. I've had them on the wishlist for too long now! I just emailed you back by the way ;)

bkclubcare said...

I will be joining this, too and I want to read the #2 and #3 titles from your list. And, now after Chris' comment, I want to read Looking for Alaska! I didn't realize Green has so many books. (I've already got the Katherine book and Paper Towns on my list.)

Ramya said...

I am considering joining this one as well.. my current challenge count - 7! I should really stop! I loved Book thief and half of a yellow sun and I want to read Persepolis and the uncommon reader.. heard so much about them.. this is an awesome list..
and yes.. go on and join more challenges!:)

Nymeth said...

I love your list. I've read the first three and they are all among my favourite reads of the year.

Dar said...

I'm going to do this one too. I need to get my list up this weekend. Great list by the way.

Veens said...

I am in this one too :)
And I am reading at least one of the books u have mentioned :)

alisonwonderland said...

i put Looking for Alaska and Half of a Yellow Sun on my list of possibles for this challenge too. this is going to be a nice way to remember Dewey!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top