- Fizzy Thoughts: Generosity and Treat

Generosity and Treat

Thursday, December 18, 2008


Do you give books as gifts? To everyone? Or only to select people?

You know, I’d love to give books as gifts. It would make shopping so much easier. However, my life is not filled with readers. Hamburger only reads motorcycle manuals, so no books for him. My mom usually gets a book from me, and I know she’ll read it. My uncle always gets a travel memoir of some kind from me…it’s become a tradition. I gave my friend Rochelle Kafka on the Shore as a birthday present, and she named her fish Oshima in return, so that was definitely a successful gift. And Kate’s gotten a few books from me over the years. But other than that? I don’t have a whole lot of faith that any book I buy for my brother, or sister-in-law, or aunt will ever get read.

How do you feel about receiving books as gifts?

Dude…if I only got books as gifts I would be the happiest softdrink ever. Or gift cards for books (okay, and Starbucks). However, that doesn’t really happen, and I usually end up with a sweater or two that I never wear. Maybe I need to start writing letters to Santa again.

And bonus question…

What is the best book you ever bought for yourself?
And, why? What made it the best? What made it so special?

The best book I ever bought for myself is always the one I just bought. Because it’s unread, and it sounded interesting, and it’s got possibilities…

10 comment(s):

cali said...

"The best book I ever bought for myself is always the one I just bought. Because it’s unread, and it sounded interesting, and it’s got possibilities…"

Right on, sistah!

CeeCee@Book Splurge said...

That's funny: we all need to write Santa for books! I hate telling family it is okay to give me a small gift certificate. Like you, I end up getting a gift that winds up forgotten in my closet.

bkclubcare said...

==> "The best book I ever bought for myself is always the one I just bought."

AWESOME.

I had to go to Borders and guess what: I bought The Book Thief. sigh...

Ti said...

That last sentence of yours is classic.

I need a Tshirt or something to wear that says "Bye me Books" because no matter how often I ask for books no one buys me any.

dawn said...

"The best book I ever bought for myself is always the one I just bought. Because it’s unread, and it sounded interesting, and it’s got possibilities…"

yes, a great philosophy to live your life by!

I'll be writing my letter to Santa tonight!

Melanie said...

I would love to get books as gifts. My family is a reading family and I used to get lots of books. Now I think they don't feel comfortable buying me a book becuase I'm a librarian and all ready read alot. The best book bought myself was a set of hardcover Jane Austen books. Give me books people!

Smilingsal said...

I have had wonderful times when I got 5 or 6 books.

Beth F said...

Good answer on the bonus question. I choose to ignore it. When you've been buying books for yourself for at least 45 years, it's a bit hard to pick just one.

Dar said...

I love getting gift cards for gifts to buy books. My dad asked a while ago what I wanted for Christmas-I said a gift card for books-he tells me that's not a gift. WTF!!! Of course it is!

Veens said...

I love your BTT answers :)

Oshima -- was so funny :) :)
sweaters :) hmm.. i think I don't mind that :)

And this one is best answer :) :) :)

The best book I ever bought for myself is always the one I just bought. Because it’s unread, and it sounded interesting, and it’s got possibilities…

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top