- Fizzy Thoughts: the Scrabble report

the Scrabble report

Monday, December 29, 2008

A few days ago I mentioned that I received Super Deluxe Scrabble for Christmas.



Well, Hamburger and I had our inaugural game and he trounced me. The final score was 700 and something to 600 and something. I've blocked the details.

Hamburger has the irritating ability to use all of his tiles. He usually manages it once a game. Sometimes more. This time it was unleaded that put him in the lead, and I was never able to catch up. I blame it on the fact that I was consonant challenged for a good portion of the game.

Many of you asked if it's the same game, only longer. And yes, it does take a good amount of time to play. But the board is larger, and Hamburger and I agree that you seem to be able to spell longer words. We also made good use of the board. I'll confess to using squee in order to nab a quadruple word score. Hamburger never challenges, and I never confessed my doubt that it's a real word. I figure if I've seen it around the internets it's fair game. Of course, he had to turn it into squeeler and hit a triple word score, so so much for my cleverness. Especially since I just now realized squealer is spelled with an a. I think I need to start reading the dictionary.

Anyways...two thumbs up. I'd recommend it for all you Scrabble lovers. Just make sure you have plenty of time for a game.

12 comment(s):

Rebecca @ The Book Lady's Blog said...

Oh, I totally sympathize! I'm usually the one with higher scoring words, but hubby has an annoying habit of adding "ed" or "s" to the end of pre-existing words and earning bazillions of points for it. Makes me crazy every time.

bkclubcare said...

SQUEE!! is a word, oh yes, most definitely.

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

I'm not trying to trump you in dorkiness (that's a title I could do without!), but you might want to put *The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary* on your wish list. There are tons of crazy 2-letter words you can memorize, and QAT which is a type of ornamental shrubbery (who knew!??)

Glad you're enjoying the expanded version. Challenge him to a re-match!

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

I'm not trying to trump you in dorkiness (that's a title I could do without!), but you might want to put *The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary* on your wish list. There are tons of crazy 2-letter words you can memorize, and QAT which is a type of ornamental shrubbery (who knew!??)

Glad you're enjoying the expanded version. Challenge him to a re-match!

Joanne said...

Looks so awesome!! I love scrabble, but our board is a sad sight - more scotch tape than board at this point lol.

How super-geeky that you used squee - Woot is also in the Oxford dictionary if you have an annoying W.

bermudaonion said...

I love Scrabble, but no one else here does, so I never get to play.

girasoli said...

Hamburger probably doesn't challenge so that he can sneak a few words in also. I haven't played scrabble in ages. The new game looks fun.

softdrink said...

Rebecca - I know! I didn't mention he also added an s to squeelers, so he milked it for all it was worth!

Care - Cool. You can be the official judge for the next game.

Dawn - Sorry, but I think knowing the word qat trumphs owning Super Deluxe Scrabble for dorkiness.

Jo - I am so using woot in the next game!

Kathy - :-(

girasoli - I think HB and I both cheat. All's fair in love and Scrabble, right?

Melanie said...

All's fair in love and Scrabble
This should be the new motto around my house! I love Scrabble but my husband usually wins, often by quite a lot. We've started playing on Facebook and he still wins.

TruBlu93 said...

Scrabble is a fun game. We also played it this past week, but we didn't take scored, now I wish we had.

=)
TruBlu

TruBlu93 said...

Scrabble is a fun game. We also played it this past week, but we didn't take scored, now I wish we had.

=)
TruBlu

Nymeth said...

I want this even more now! I'm glad you're having so much fun with it :)

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top