- Fizzy Thoughts: A Weekly Geeks for Dewey

A Weekly Geeks for Dewey

Sunday, December 07, 2008

This week’s Weekly Geeks is dedicated to Dewey. Becky came up with this idea:
I was thinking that it might be nice for those bloggers who are Weekly Geeks to pay tribute to Dewey in the next week or so. To take the time to post to their blogs a "Weekly Geek" post about Dewey--maybe share their favorite posts from her site, maybe share a memory or two about participating in weekly geeks, the bookworms carnival, the 24 Hour Readathon, or one of Dewey's challenges, maybe just share a favorite memory of Dewey in general, what they'll miss most, how they'll remember her, etc. I'm going to post mine today--but bloggers anywhere and everywhere are encouraged to post whenever they want. Please come back to this post to leave your link. I'll be rounding up responses.

On her blog Dewey stated:

My main focus in blogging is community. I want to share my love for books with other bloggers, hear what they think of what they’re reading, and have lots of bookish fun. My non-review blog activities, such as the Bookworms Carnival, the Read-a-thon, Weekly Geeks, the challenges I host or join, and the contests and giveaways in my blog are all meant to build community.

I know many people have referenced this paragraph over the last week. And that’s because Dewey was remarkably successful at what she stated she wanted to do. So successful, in fact, that many people are now carrying on Dewey’s ideas. I think that it’s a wonderful tribute to such a beloved member of our book blogging community that so many people are eager to join together to see her ideas continue.

Of all Dewey’s ideas, my favorites are Weekly Geeks and the Read-a-thon.

I had been reading other people’s Weekly Geeks posts for awhile before I finally jumped in. I loved the diversity of topics, and the fact that Dewey often made us think outside the box. Weekly Geeks was fun, but it also made me think. The Read-a-thon was fun, too, although I only participated as a cheerleader. Still, I met so many new bloggers…Dewey truly was a master of community building.

So, thank you Dewey, for all that you did...and all that you continue to do.

5 comment(s):

Ali said...

So true: the way she made us think outside the box was what made WG stand out for me too. Good thought to remember.

bkclubcare said...

Beautiful. {{{{hugs}}}}}
- Care

Veens said...

:)
Read-a-thon was the one I participated.. and that's the reason I came to know you and loads of other wonderful bloggers :) I would always be thankful to Dewey for tht!

Nymeth said...

"Dewey often made us think outside the box."

So very true.

Maree said...

I met I don't know how many new bloggers because of Dewey and the Weekly Geeks.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top