- Fizzy Thoughts: An Abundance of Katherines

An Abundance of Katherines

Saturday, January 24, 2009


An Abundance of Katherines
John Green
September 2006
272 pages

Colin just got dumped by his girlfriend Katherine. Since this was the 19th Katherine he had dated (and been dumped by), he obviously has a thing for Katherines (although with that track record, maybe he should be more receptive to dating other names?).

In an effort to take Colin’s mind off of his misery, his best friend Hassan decides a road trip is in order. So off they go. And they end up in Gutshot, Tennessee, living in a pink palace and working for the owner of a tampon string factory (only John Green, I tell ya). In his spare time, Colin works on a math theorem that attempts to predict who will be the dumper and who will be the dumpee in a relationship. And he can do this because he’s wicked smart, a fact I forgot to mention earlier.

Then there’s more relationship stuff followed by a teachable moment. The end. If you want to know the teachable moment, read the book. Especially if you happened upon this post because you have to write a report and you haven’t read the book. This ain’t no Cliff Notes. Or Spark Notes. Or whatever they’re called these days. So go away and read the book.

This is book #2 that I’ve read by John Green. It was good. Funny. Entertaining. But not as good, or as funny, or as profound as Waiting for Alaska. Because that book was awesome. Still, An Abundance of Katherines is worth reading. I still have Paper Towns left, so we’ll see how that one compares to the awesomeness that was Waiting for Alaska. Then I’ll be done with John Green’s novels, so he better get busy and publish some more.

Oh, and I must confess…I skipped the appendix. Because math? It’s boring.

15 comment(s):

Lisa said...

I loved Looking for Alaska but for whatever reason never got around to reading this one. A lot of bloggers seems to have gotten around to it lately, perhaps nows my time too.

bermudaonion said...

I have got to read some of John Green's work!

Eva said...

See-I suspected this one wouldn't live up to Looking for Alaska, which is why I've avoided it. Can't wait to hear if Paper Towns does better!

Beth F said...

I have Alaska and Katherines in my TBR -- I really should read them. Nice review, I'll let you know if I do the appendix.

Jo-Jo said...

I haven't read John Green yet, but it does sound interesting...working in a tampon string factory hey? lol

Chris said...

I totally agree with you that Looking for Alaska is his best work, but Paper Towns is really good! I have this one sitting on my TBR shelf and then I'm done with Green :( He really does need to write more! Oh, and by the way, I FINALLY mailed your copy of Dream Homes that you won today. Sorry it took so long!!

Melissa said...

Yes, but John Green writing about math? That's interesting. And funny.

saveophelia said...

Best. Review. Ever.

I'd never heard of this books - but it seems interesting. A guy that dates Katherines... I might have to give this a try!

Ladytink_534 said...

I heard one of his books is being made into a movie but I'm not sure which one.

lilly said...

Sounds like a fun book to read. I haven't read any of John Green's books yet but maybe I'll start. Thanks for the review.

Joanne said...

I liked Alaska better too, but I think because it was about more serious things. This one was more about fun. I thought all the footnotes were cool. Also liked how Green had his characters use the word fug :)

Bookfool said...

Hahaha! I loved that crazy appendix!! Maybe I should go back to school and take some math.

I loved both books but Katherines is my favorite of the two. I think that might have to do with the humor. I'd rather laugh than cry, any day, and Katherines is certianly loads of fun. I think Green is freaking brilliant.

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

How have I missed reading John Green?!

Remember those work-aptitude tests in high school, where you filled in a bunch of ovals and learned what type of work you'd be suited to? How do you have to answer the questions to match up with a tampon string manufacturer? Too funny!

bkclubcare said...

I suspect that one of my posts is searched by students looking for 'notes'. I really wonder if they find it useful - no ever comments a darn thank you or anything!!

bkclubcare said...

Thanks Jill! It arrived today. :)

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top