- Fizzy Thoughts: Anansi Boys

Anansi Boys

Sunday, January 04, 2009


Anansi Boys
Neil Gaiman
2005
334 pages


When this book first came out, back in 2005, I bought it immediately because I thought American Gods was brilliant and I was so excited there was a sequel (only it's not really a sequel...you could very easily read these books independent of each other). Then I never got around to reading it and it sat, unread, on the bookcase for three years. Three years! I know, I know. How could I?

But then The Graveyard Book and came out I renewed my infatuation with Gaiman. So Anansi Boys started calling my name, and this time I listened.

Charles "Fat Charlie" Nancy is the son of a god. Not that he knows that. Fat Charlie has always been embarrassed by his flamboyant, prankster father. So embarrassed that he moved to England to avoid him. However, when Mr. Nancy dies, Fat Charlie returns to Florida for the funeral. While there, he learns of the possible existence of a brother he never knew (or maybe just forgot) he had. Supposedly, if he wants to see this mysterious brother, all he has to do is tell a spider. Yeah right, thinks Fat Charlie, and he returns to London.

Only thing is, Fat Charlie does pass the message along to a spider, and before you know it, the mysterious brother, Spider, has appeared and taken over Fat Charlie's life. Havoc ensues. Fat Charlie learns a few things about life and his father and himself. Spider learns a few things, too. Everyone lives happily ever after. The end.

Obviously, being a Gaiman book, there's much more too it than that. It's got humor, and woo-woo stuff, and the backing of a great imagination. I'd have a hard time not liking anything Gaiman. But it's not my favorite. I think American Gods will always remain my favorite, simply because it's the first of Gaiman's books that I ever read, and I was floored by the world he created. Anansi Boys is set in that same magical world, but it lacked a certain sumthin' sumthin'.

8 comment(s):

Chris said...

American Gods will always be my favorite too! It was just so fantastic. I really liked this one too though. I loved the humor in it!

Eva said...

That's so funny-I love Anansi Boys! BUT I've only listened to the audiobook instead of reading it, and the narrator is amazing. That might have something to do with it...

bkclubcare said...

I hope to get to both Anansi Boys and American Gods SOMEDAY. PS - I got a laptop for xmas! I don't think I'll be naming it, tho. How's Mike doing?

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

I haven't yet read anything by Neil Gaiman. Based on your review, I'll look for *American Gods* first before reading *Anansi Boys* or *The Graveyard Book* (which I've seen all over the blogosphere in the past few months).

Charley said...

Woo-woo stuff? I'm intrigued. I've had a mixed experience with Gaiman, but I'd like to read American Gods soon.

Melody said...

I haven't got this book, yet! But I'm looking forward to reading American Gods soon!

Joanne said...

Normally I love Gaiman to death, but this one I found slow, not a page-turner-must-read-all-in-one-sitting.

softdrink said...

Chris - oh good, I'm in good company then.

Eva - I really need to get into audiobooks!

Care - Mike has arrived and he's marvelous. We're going to be BFF. I hope. Come on...you could name yours Sully. ;-)

Dawn - start with The Graveyard Book!

Charley - definitely woo-woo. If you like mythology, then American Gods is a must! That goes for you, too, Melody!

Joanne - yes, exactly. It wasn't as captivating as his others.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top