- Fizzy Thoughts: The Best?

The Best?

Thursday, January 08, 2009


It’s a week or two later than you’d expect, and it may be almost a trite question, but … what were your favorite books from 2008?

I was going to do a post on this last week. But then I decided not to, because my favorites change on a daily (sometimes hourly) basis. Now here I am, one week later, thinking about it all over again. So these are the books (as of this one moment in time) that I remember as being particularly fun or enjoyable reads (not necessarily great literature, but fun...because, you know, I'm all about the fun):

Special Topics in Calamity Physics, Marisha Pessl
Peony in Love, Lisa See
Belong to Me, Marisa de los Santos
I Capture the Castle, Dodie Smith
The Sugar Queen, Sarah Addison Allen
The Lace Reader, Brunonia Barry
Kafka on the Shore, Haruki Murakami
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society, Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
The Last Queen, C.W. Gortner
The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman
We Have Always Lived in the Castle, Shirley Jackson

Ask me again tomorrow and I'm sure the list would look quite different. If I were in a more thoughtful, serious mood, I'm sure books like The Septembers of Shiraz would make it onto the list. Maybe it made it on to your list?

10 comment(s):

bermudaonion said...

Okay, I'm going to have to break down and buy The Graveyard Book.

Book Lover Lisa said...

i have the same problem with my opinion of books changing with my mood. guernsey is also on my list

sherry said...

Same here. With books in particular it's hard for me to pick favorites. I'm going to give it a try though.

Dar said...

You know I have a really hard time picking a favorite because I like so many. I could never fit it into 10 selections. Books are my favorites for many different reasons. That's why I don't usually make these lists.

Chris said...

Great list Jill! I have a few of those that are on either my TBR shelf, on the wishlist, or have read and loved. I'm just like you..my favorites change from day to day. The top 3 tend to stay the same though.

Nise' said...

I am seeing a lot of the same books on the favorite lists. I have added them to my TBR list.

Melody said...

Great list! I'm going to add a few of your books to my wishlist. I've also seen them mentioned by several bookbloggers too! ;)

Rebecca @ The Book Lady's Blog said...

Thanks for your comment re: delurking! I have read Ex Libris and thoroughly enjoyed it. Glad you're having a nice time with Ms. Fadiman.

Beth F said...

I've had Special Topics in my MP3 since about the day it came out. I'm not sure why I haven't listened to it yet.

Loved Peony in Love, liked Lace Reader, loved Guernsey.

I've been thinking about Belong to Me. And now I'm going to have to reconsider some of the others -- adding them to the TBR or moving them up in the stacks.

Anyway: Come on by and pick up an award here.

Joanne said...

Terrific list - I've got a few of these on my TBR pile. I really need to start Kafka On The Shore - I've heard such amazing things about it.

Graveyard Book and We Have Always Lived In The Castle would be on my top 2008 10 list too.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top