- Fizzy Thoughts: Library Loot

Library Loot

Wednesday, January 14, 2009


Since I am bound and determined to give audio books a chance, last Saturday I went to the library for the first time in a very long time. In fact, it had been so long I couldn't find my library card (what an embarassing thing for a reader to admit). So I had to fork out a buck. Not that I'm complaining...libraries are a fantastic deal.

However, my local library always disappoints me. It's small, and last Saturday it was filled with pre-teens running around calling each other butt-head, or some other equally un-charming thing. And while I was standing in front of the new book section there was an elderly man heavy breathing in my ear. He probably had emphysema and couldn't help it, but it wasn't quite the ambiance I wanted. And the audio book section was fairly disappointing. I ended up with:


The Year of Living Biblically, Thank You, Jeeves, and The Passion of Artemesia. I'm not sure I'll listen to them all, but that's what I got.






I also came home with a book:

The book was a bust. I read it, but it wasn't anything great. I'm currently half-way through The Year of Living Biblically, which for a visual learner is amazing. I'm listening to it in my car, which I think is the only place I can do audio books. For 25 minutes on my way to work, and then again for the drive home, I'm a captive audience.






So now that I have a shiny new library card, I'm hoping to make the trip to the library a more frequent event. However, I think I'll need to drive into the big city (hah! that would be San Luis Obispo) and hope they have a better selection of audio books.

18 comment(s):

bermudaonion said...

We have a small branch of a large system, so I can have just about anything sent to our branch. When I go there, it seems it is filled with people using the computers instead of looking for books.

bkclubcare said...

I decided to try an audio version of Byatt's Possession because Eva says the voices are wonderful (I think that's what she said, anyway.) I reserved it from the library and barely made it before the week deadline before they return it to the shelf, and?!?! I pop out a CD in my car, open the case, and. It's cassette. My car doesn't have cassette. HOw could I be so stupid!? So I pop the CD of music back in and Pink's first song comes on "Stupid Girl"...

sigh. I have to remember to try again and only get discs not tapes.

lilly said...

I mostly go to my library to borrow audiobooks only. Nowadays, I try to stay away from it altogether because i signed up dor Ban on Spending Challenge and my library always has used books for sale. And I am not very acquainted with my willpower (what? what? what's a willpower?)as far as not buying cheap books go.

literatehousewife said...

I have a 1 credit a month subscription to Audible and I'm really loving it. The Sister and the Guernsey L&PP Society were wonderful in audio. I wish you luck!

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

I used my younger daughter's card for 6 months (I keep hers in my wallet) because I couldn't find mine and I was determined that it was around here SOMEWHERE!

I finally gave up and asked for a new card (yes, I was embarrassed, too!)

So, are you "living dangerously" or "living bibically" ?? The post has both listed ...

Heather J. said...

Although I love audio books (for the drive to work) I hate browsing those aisles at my library. I ALWAYS order all my books, audio books, etc. online so that when I get to the library they are waiting for me - I'm there a max of 7 minutes.

I've listened to several Jeeves books lately and I love them! They always make me smile on my way to work - and that is an accomplishment!

sherry said...

There is such a disparity between library branches. The main branch of the library system is located in my small city, which is the county seat. However, the newest and fanciest branch is "down the hill." It is gorgeous. You just wouldn't believe the difference.

Ladytink_534 said...

Sorry your library branch isn't great. Before I moved back into town there was another library that was closer but the people were really rude so I just went to the one in town. Hubby had to pass it anyway on the way home so I just got him to pick up my books for me lol.

If your library is connected to others in your area they should willingly get what you want from them and ship them to whichever branch you're closest to.

softdrink said...

Kathy - yeah, the kids were all over the computers.

Care - thanks to you and Eva I know have a list for audio books, too. *sigh* And don't feel bad...I looked at the books on tape for quite awhile before I noticed the (little) sign that said audio tapes.

lilly - hah! that's too funny that you can't even go to the library without getting sucked into buying something. I can totally relate to the no willpower when it comes to books.
Dawn - I am not having a child just so I can have a back-up library card! ;-)

Heather - I'm a browser, although those kids may force me into browsing on-line!

Sherry - If I ever move, I'm putting check out the local library on the lists of things to do BEFORE deciding on the town.

Tink - I'm going have to get over my objections to inter-library loan...I just like to pretend that a trip to the library is like going to the bookstore.

Dar said...

My library has the worst audio section. I guess I could drive to the next closest library but I don't. I usually reserve them online and they bring them in and I go pick them up.

Ali said...

I can't listen to audiobooks. Even as a passenger in the car, my mind wanders away and suddenly some character is crying and I don't know why.

Amy said...

I'm also trying to listen to audiobooks but the spring like weather has made me roll down the windows and blast the music. :)

I'm sorry you didn't like Trouble the Water, I really liked that book...cried through half of it.;)

Wrighty - said...

I have a hard time following audio books too. I can listen for awhile if I'm driving alone in my car but my mind tends to wander at times. I do a lot of rewinding! Good luck though!

Audio Books said...

tapes sucks discs rule. I have 150 audio books in my ipod :)

Eva said...

I hate how parents of middle schoolers think libraries are good places to leave their kids! Anyway, I was going to suggest like Bermuda Onion that you see if you can have books from other branches delivered to your local one. That's what I do!

And I really enjoy listening to Jeeves books on CD, but that's me. :)

splummer said...

Hi!
I haven't done Audio books myself. I don't think I could into them. But I am going to try this year to listen to one! Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!!

Sherrie

page247 said...

I've tried audio books, just can not get into them. I can't back track a few sentences if my mind has wondered or know how to spell that word I'm not quite sure of and want to look up in my dictionary!

Joanne said...

I like audio books quite a bit, but I find that fiction is very hit and miss because if the voice is crap you are not going to enjoy the story itself. But with non-fic and memoirs I almost always love them.

The AJ Jacobs was a terrific choice, imo. I've been listening to Sedaris this week and he is also fantastic!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top