- Fizzy Thoughts: my reading hodge-podge

my reading hodge-podge

Wednesday, January 14, 2009


Did you know that expiation means atonement? I should have, because I was reading Eleanor of Aquitaine and I got to page 45 and there in my own writing was a note by expiation. Atonement.

After I held the book up really close to my eyes to verify that yes indeedy that was my writing, I thought, "Crap. I just re-read 45 pages. 45 boring pages." I don't know what bugs me more...that I don't remember reading it in the first place (not to mention not remembering the definition of expiation), or that I can't bring myself to give up on this book. So far there hasn't been much Eleanor, although for a woman in the 1100's that's fairly common. 45 pages in and she's already married to Louis VII of France and has given birth to a daughter (Marie). And she's about to go on Crusade. I'm hoping for a little more action in the coming chapters.

My reading choices are really out there at the moment. Since I barely read any non-fiction last year, I'm trying to introduce a little change in the reading line-up this year. I'm currently reading State by State and Eleanor of Aquitaine, although I have to put them down frequently for a hit of fiction. Except the hit usually turns into a whole book (which would explain why the yearly totals are currently fiction 6, non-fiction 1). I'm also trying to listen to an audio book in my car. It's actually going better than expected, although for someone who is practically an atheist The Year of Living Biblically could be considered an odd choice. But it's made me laugh a few times, so it's not a total bust.

How about you? Have you switched up your reading habits this year?

12 comment(s):

Eva said...

I really enjoyed The Year of Living Biblically, even though I'm practically an atheist as well!

I've noticed I'm reading much shorter fiction so far this year than is normal...but it's not something I did consciously. I find it a bit disorienting.

Maybe if you read more fun nonfiction, it'd be easier for you to get into it? lol

Ti said...

Hahaha. That's pretty funny. I've done that before too although I didn't realize it until I had finished the book that I had already read it.

My habits have changed. I am reading what I want to read, period. Many of the books that interest me this year are lonnnnng reads.. 700+ pages so my reviews might take awhile but at least I'll be reading what I really want to read.

sherry said...

You know what's a fun nonfiction read? "The Sex Lives of Cannibals." Truly.

Melissa said...

Well, since Mr. Jacobs is practically an atheist, too, I think you're in good company. Did you ever read Know-it All, his other one?

Beth F said...

I got only about halfway through Eleanor. The book should have been more interesting because her life was interesting. I never did finish.

Nymeth said...

I'm very curious about The Year of Living Biblically. I have actually heard very good things about it from fellow atheists. I'm always interested in books that help me understand how people experience religion and belief.

Until last year I read non-fiction rarely, but I made a conscious effort to start reading more of it and surprised myself with the gems I found! Now my aim is 2 non-fiction books a month. Last year I surpass it...let's hope I do again this year.

Dreamybee said...

So far this year I am only reading what I own. I haven't checked anything out from the library since about the middle of November. I think that is a record. I can't remember the last time I didn't have at least one library book in the house!

softdrink said...

Eva - I'm finishing Eleanor, but then I'm reconsidering the next book for the History portion of my World Citizen challenge. You're right...something fun is definitely in order!

Ti - I'm sure I would have remained oblivious if I hadn't written in the book.

Sherry - I've seen that one around...travel memoir??

Melissa - no, and he mentions it so much in this book, I'm not sure I want to read it now!

Beth - I made it to page 100 last night, so there's been progress. But it certainly is dry.

Nymeth - an excellent goal! I have a lot of non-fiction on the list of possibilities, but we'll see if I can manage to do as well as you.

Dreamybee - you're a better person than I am! I have no will-power!

Joanne said...

My reading so far this year is erratic at best - I'm having a hard time staying focused so I've been reading fiction that's short or easy alternating with fact-ish books like "501 Must Read Books", "50 Philosophy Ideas" and "Cult Movies In 60 Seconds" :/

I loved Year of Living Biblically, I thought it was great that he was so open to all the different aspects of religion. I was raised United, married a Roman Catholic and the closest I can come to describing myself is an Agnostic with Atheist tendencies :P

Michele at Reader's Respite said...

I had to laugh at this post...I have SO done the very same thing!

lisamm said...

I've done that once or twice (at least) and realized pretty quickly. Always feeling really stupid when I do :-)

I'm reading some YA this year, mainly because I want to preview what the kids read, but I'm finding I really enjoy it.

I'm not a big non-fic girl.

chartroose said...

Ahh, give up all this non-fiction stuff and read something fun!

(...slithering back into my hole again...)

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top