- Fizzy Thoughts: Shelter Me

Shelter Me

Thursday, January 08, 2009


Shelter Me
Juliette Fay
January 2009
448 pages

First, let's get the bad out of the way. I initially liked the cover. But then I read the book. Janie, the main character, has curly hair. And the house is in town, not in the country. If you're going to put the characters on the cover, get it right!

Okay, now that I've gotten that off of my chest, on to the book. Which I liked.

We first meet Janie LaMarche in April, four months after the sudden death of her husband. With two young children, Janie is struggling to deal with her grief and the demands of a baby girl and a young son who is confused by death of his father. Despite the sad circumstances, this story is not a total downer (although I did cry a few times). The charm is in it's characters. Janie is bitter smart-ass, yet I found myself pulling for her as she wades through her grief and constructs a new life for her family. The rest of her family, and the new friends that she finds through her grief, are equally compelling.

If you like Marisa de los Santos and her books (Belong To Me, Love Walked In) then I'd recommend Shelter Me. I'm not really sure why these authors are so appealing, or even why they remind me of each other. Maybe it's because the situations they construct are things that could happen to any of us. The books are a slice of life, the characters you and me.

This one is going in the book closet, which will resume it's regularly scheduled appearance this Friday. I'd suggest you grab it, if you get the chance.

8 comment(s):

Ti said...

Ooooh. The book closet. Pick me! On another note, that's funny what you said about the cover not matching the locale or the physical characteristics of the main characters. I've read four reviews of this so far and no one has mentioned that. Good catch!

Dar said...

I've seen a few reviews of this one and have it on the list. Hmmmmm, maybe the book closet will pick me this week.

heatherlo said...

I really want to read this book... especially since you compared it to Marissa de los Santos books!
P.S. Love the new look of the blog! (I use a reader, so chances are you changed it awhile ago and I haven't been over for a little bit)

Ali said...

Funny because my first thought was, "What a great cover!" Oh, well.

softdrink said...

Ti - I'm picky about my covers, especially if it looks like it's supposed to be a character on the cover.

Dar - statistically, you stand a good chance, since you're such a prolific commenter. :-D

Heather - nope, I changed it last week. I use a reader, too, so I know what you mean!

Ali, I loved the cover, too. Until I kept reading about Janie's curly hair.

Melody said...

Sounds like a great read to me. I enjoyed reading Love Walked In so I think I'll enjoy this one too. Thanks for the review, Jill!

Joanne said...

Sounds great! Although I do get totally cranky when a cover has nothing to do with a book. But knowing beforehand might make a difference I suppose.

softdrink said...

Melody - yup, you should read it then. :-D

Joanne - That I suppose sounds like you're still not convinced. ;-)

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top