- Fizzy Thoughts: Sing! Sing a song...

Sing! Sing a song...

Thursday, January 15, 2009


But, enough about books … Other things have words, too, right? Like … songs!

If you’re anything like me, there are songs that you love because of their lyrics; writers you admire because their songs have depth, meaning, or just a sheer playfulness that has nothing to do with the tunes.

So, today’s question?

  • What songs … either specific songs, or songs in general by a specific group or writer … have words that you love?
  • Why?
  • And … do the tunes that go with the fantastic lyrics live up to them?

You don’t have to restrict yourself to modern songsters, either … anyone who wants to pick Gilbert & Sullivan, for example, is just fine with me. Lerner & Loewe? Steven Sondheim? Barenaked Ladies? Fountains of Wayne? The Beatles? Anyone at all...



About 5 or 6 years ago, when I worked in a different office that was not organized like a Dilbert cartoon, I could listen to the radio or CDs. In the morning I had a tendency to play Metallica CDs, or some other head-bangerish music, because I happen to like that kind of noise, and it helped to wake me up (at the time, I started work at 6am). So one day a co-worker comes into my office, listens for a moment, and then says:

"Let me get this straight. You used to be a teacher. And you drive a Honda. And you listen to this?"
I guess the music didn’t jive with the otherwise conservative image he had built for me.

So yes, I like loud, obnoxious music, preferably music with no socially redeeming qualities. I also refuse to listen to rap. And country. And opera…no can do on the opera. In regard to my obnoxious music habit, I can very easily block out the lyrics and rock out to the beat.

Except…my very favorite-tist musician is Dave Matthews. Not a lot of opportunity for head banging there. This is probably the only music where I pay attention to the lyrics, although even then I don’t think any of the songs especially speak to me. But I do love Gravedigger, and Grace is Gone, and Two Step, and Old Dirt Hill, and I could go on, but I won’t. Let's just say I have a ridiculous amount of space on the iPod devoted to the Dave Matthews Band.

I always feel vaguely like a Dead Head when I confess to liking Dave Matthews, because let's face it, the man most likely plays stoned most of the time. And as much as I'd like to see him live, I'd probably end up with a contact high if I went to a concert.

Any other DMB fans out there? If not, can we still be friends??

12 comment(s):

Olga said...

Ahh Metallica makes me think of overnight drive thru shifts from my teenage years! It's funny how people build us up in their minds and then we knock down those images with our musical taste. I'm not a huge fan of DMB, but I don't hate him either. I think they've got more songs that I like, but don't really know that they're by them, if that makes sense?

Jo-Jo said...

Oh that is funny! My son went to a Dave Matthews Band concert a couple of years ago and he said there were some funny smells lingering! lol

I like to listen to Have a Nice Day by Bon Jovi when I am having a rough day.

bermudaonion said...

I love Enter Sandman by Metallica because that's what they play when Virginia Tech's football team takes the field. I think of the Hokies every time I hear it.

sherry said...

If I heard Metallica at work that early (or honestly at any time) I'd start losing my will to live. Kinda like what the horrible florescent lights did to the Tom Hanks character at the start of "Joe vs. The Volcano." :(

Don't you love how different we all are? It makes life interesting for sure.

~ nite swimming ~

*claire* said...

I loooooooove Dave Matthews! I just posted a comment under my own post saying that I wanted to include more, like DMB, but I had to restrain myself from adding more to my list, else it'll be a million miles long! LOL! :D

girasoli said...

Thanks, got that song in my head now. Sing, sing a song....

I like some of Dave Matthews songs but haven't listened to him enough to know him well. My all time favorite songs are Free Bird, Tuesday's Gone (Lynyrd Skynyrd) and Beautiful Looser and Let It Rock (Bob Segar). Will have to think about favorite songs due to lyrics.

Off topic...so are you in on the Feb blogging again? Annie started a new challenge in the blogging section of slow travel.

Rebecca @ The Book Lady's Blog said...

You would definitely get a contact high at a DMB show, but it would be fun, let me tell you. I have the same ridiculous-amount-of-iPod-space issue with Counting Crows. It's almost embarrassing, but I love them too much to care.

Annie said...

I just came by to tell you that we are gonna do the February blog challenge again - glad to see that Girasoli beat me to it!

I like DMB just fine but he's one of my brother's all-time favorites so for the past couple of years, I've babysat for my nephews while my brother and SIL went to see Dave.

Some of my favorite song lyrics are from the Grateful Dead: Ripple, Box of Rain, Touch of Gray.

Happy Friday!

Fyrefly said...

I used a quote from "Two Step" for my senior quote in my high school yearbook, so you'll hear no DMB bashing from this quarter. :)

Ali said...

I wouldn't have had you pegged as a Metallica fan, either. But I like some unusual things, too.

Bogsider said...

LOL about Metallica. They are not my favorite band, but being Danish, Metallica has a special place (as they do in almost all Dane's heart) because the drummer is Danish. LOL. We are proud about that.

Anyway, most people are horrified when I tell them, that I listen to rap-music. I am way too old for that in the first place. Second, they have made me out to be too much of a nice girl (GIRL! Hrrrppff. Probably not the right word) who has only healthy interests and is not too crazy about misogynist gangsta-rap. Heck, they're wrong. I love it. LOL.

But that said, I do listen to a very broad spectre of music and there really is not genre that I'll say that I NEVER listen to. I may not be the first to buy a country-record, a jazz-record or an opera-record. Or go to a jazz-concert or an opera. But it is not that I hate it or refuse to listen to it.

I also like stuff like Irish folk music and klezmer.

But as much as I like music, I am way more into books and there are days where I don't even turn on the radio. I can live without music, but not without books. There is no band or artist I love so much that I need all his or her albums or go to all their concerts etc. Can't think of any anyway.

:)

Joanne said...

Another Metallica fan!! I love them too, although I have some issues with the Death Magnetic album. Also I dislike country and rap, same as you.

My top 10 most played at this moment are: AC/DC, koRn, Modest Mouse, Rev Horton Heat, NIN, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Tori Amos, Tragically Hip, Radiohead.

I've also been listening to alot of screamo/emo and grind-metal. I have 2 teenage boys so my musical taste is pretty diverse :)

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top